Please sign in to post.

ATMs in Norway

I want to know if any fees are charged by the Norwegian ATMs for withdrawing money using my US debit card. I know my own bank does not charge any fee, but my question is whether the Norwegian bank ATM charges anything for using their ATM. Thanks in advance ...

Posted by
5835 posts

The Norwegain bank did not charge for the use of their ATM. But that said, you don't need much cash in Norway if you have a working credit card. We only used cash for the very small purchases. Ironically the ATM in the Oslo S returns cash in multiples of 500 NOK notes

BTW if you have old Norwegain currency from a past trip you may need to exchange them for the new banknotes.
https://www.norges-bank.no/en/topics/notes-and-coins/New-banknote-series/What-to-do-with-old-banknotes/

The old series of 100-krone and 200-krone notes are not legal tender
after 30 May 2018.

The new 50-krone and 500-krone banknotes were launched on 18 October
2018. You may still use the 50-krone and 500-krone banknotes from the previous series until 18 October 2019.

Posted by
7049 posts

Nordic/ Scandinavian countries are leading the way in being cash free. You shouldn't have an issue using your credit card in lieu of cash withdrawals.

Posted by
8125 posts

But my Wells Fargo ATM card gets debited for $5.00 and 5% of the amount withdrawn. Little excessive in my book. I switch to a credit union ATM card when traveling overseas--and use the credit card for every available purchase.

Posted by
2 posts

Those are advising to use card instead of cash, I am well aware nordic countries are cashless. But I need the withdrawals for soem other reasons. hence, the question was if Norway banks charge for using their ATMs. My US bank will not charge anything.