Please sign in to post.

Oslo in 1 day

My wife and I (in our mid-20's) will be in Oslo for a full day and a quarter. We were looking for ideas to spend the day exploring the city and/or venture out of the city for some sightseeing if that's more interesting. We are not too keen on visiting any of the museums. Can you give us ideas on how we could spend our time? Thanks!

Posted by
252 posts

I am not sure where you are going in Norway? But I was in Oslo last November, late, late November. It was cold. I do not know where you are from...but have a lot of layers. Good coat, boots, scarf, mits, etc. I was well equipped and did almost everything by foot. I was pleasantly surprised by how ''alive'' was the city. I had some beers on a patio (yes, outside) while it was probably -12; they provided blankets and I had a blast talking football with locals.

You can take a nice walk on the rooftop of the Opera House, walk along the water and see the City Hall, the Nobel Price center, and close to downtown and shop if you want. Maybe stop to have a nice lunch before walking to the Frogner park. Oh and near the center you can also walk to Akushaus Fortress and try to find the Resistance Museum (even if you do not want to go inside), walk up the stairs to there and you can see the cityhall and downtown...I saw a great sunset from there.

I did not have time...but this seem like it could be nice...next time I will try to stop there:
http://www.holmenkollen.com/eng/The-Ski-Museum

Oh and Oslo trains/airport are so amazing. I think it was there that I scanned my luggage myself...sent it off to in the bind...no wait...a nice bonus for me!

Oh and I know you are not interested...but if ever you have an extra 2 hours...you could visit ONE of these...They are not huge museums and can be visited somewhat fast and you would still get lots of info out of them.
I remember taking the bus perhaps once to get to the Fram Museum. It was a great multilingual expo. I also enjoyed the Nobel Price Center (depends what expo they have, it is small but they had a great expo when I was there). I also went to the Norway Resistance Museum. You may want to look these up. The Resistance Museum was also great and is close to downtown.
Oh and I am sure you are aware...but bring your $$$$ for Oslo ;)

Enjoy!