Please sign in to post.

Norway in a Nutshell

Any experiences with Norway in a Nutshell? What's the seating like? Any do's or don'ts? Should we bring our own food?

Posted by
5835 posts

Its a train. Overhead storage and end luggage closet. The had some basic food/drink offering. If I recalls correctly, you can get seat reservations. Enjoy the scenery.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the info on storage. Any experience with sleeping on the train from Bergen to Oslo? What are the seats like? I read somewhere not to reserve seats in the dining cars because there's less leg room for trying to stretch your legs to sleep.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks, Keith. That helps. We're really looking forward to it.

Posted by
1203 posts

I went on the Norway in a Nutshell several years ago and loved it! It was the best experience and totally different in traveling and seeing sights. As you take a boat ride, bus ride and train ride. My best advice is to just bring a knapsack ( large) to wear on your back, so that your arms and hands are free. Do not bring a small suitcase. Much easier to move around with a knapsack. Our trip was a full day and overnite stay in a hotel and another day and then we took a train and had a sleeper. Fun to sleep on a train! You want to be able to walk and board the boat, the bus and the train with ease so just wear a knapsack. I went the end of July and still had to dress warmly. Layer. I wore a jacket with a hood and jeans and sneakers. We did not bring food, but I guess you could. Your very busy so if you do bring food, don't bring too much. Again you want to see the sights, take photos and have your hands free. Have a great time, it was the best! By the way, my friend's father was from Norway and he said they actually created Frank Sinatra as he was visiting for a very short time and they created Norway in a Nutshell for him to see Norway!

Posted by
5835 posts

Sleeping on the train? The Nutshell tour is promoted as a way to maximize sights and experiences that you can squeeze in 24 consecutive hours. That doesn't mean that you have to squeeze the journey into one day by returning to Oslo on the night train after walking around Bergen for a couple of hours.

We stretched the journey into a three day relaxing trip, spending one night in Voss, getting to Bergan late morning spending another night in Began before taking the train back to Oslo. Bergen is worth at least 24 hours and watching the Herdangervidda plateau go by during the day better than trying to sleep on a train.

The 24 hour program is for the time constrained. If you are a slow traveler wanting to experience the country, stay a little longer.