Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

I'm thinking of a trip of about a week in late April and was thinking of staying in Amsterdam with day trips to Keukenhof and perhaps Delft. We would want to see museums and have time to walk and enjoy the city. Is a week too long, even with day trips? should we plan on others? And since we'd need to get to the trains conveniently, where would be a good area to stay? I know that it can get pretty crowded during tulip time, so I'm hoping it isn't to late to find a reasonable hotel!

Posted by
267 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Wiechmann.. on my top 5 hotels.... ever list ! Family run Inn, good breakfast.. fantastic location, reasonable price... Steep stairs, of course, and no lift (if climbing stairs is an issue). Be sure and spend just the little bit extra for the canal side room, you will be glad you did!

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks--we'll look at it. Stairs aren't a problem (good exercise!). Is it easy to get to the train station? That would be nice since I know we'd want to do some day trips. It seems better to do that than plan on traveling to other places for a night.

Posted by
267 posts

lois, it is a little walk from the train station, not too bad, if you are an normally active person.. We took the tram from the station, then walked a short way to the hotel. If you take the tram though, be careful. Those tram doors shut in a hurry.. My husband and I got separated. I As I threw the last backpack, that he forgotten to him, the tram doors shut and off I went to the next stop.. Of course, I was totally disoriented as to how far we were between stops.. Fortunately the people in Amsterdam are so incredibly nice, I asked questions and was able to easily walk to the hotel.. I have copies of our itineraries in each peace of luggage, so 2 nice ladies helped my poor husband to the hotel, putting our little bags on their bikes and walking him there. A story I will always treasure!

Posted by
267 posts

lois, We also, took a couple of day trips.. One to Dellft and one to Haarlem... Easy walk to the train station.. We loved both towns , but I particularly fell in live with Haarlem!

Posted by
271 posts

Christy, did you go to one of the Delftware pottery factories? It looks from descriptions that there are a couple, but neither particularly near the center of town.

Posted by
267 posts

lois, we did not go to any factories. We just went and walked through the town and the shops, had lunch and stopped for afternoon refreshments, before taking the train back to Amsterdam. BTW, we stayed 4 nights in Amsterdam, We are not museum people, take that in to consideration. It is, by far, the friendliest European country we visited. Also Ireland , though!

Posted by
8141 posts

We used to stay at a B&B in Amsterdam Sud--out by the football stadium. But the B&B owner cashed in his real estate and sold it for condos. That's common throughout the outer communities in Amsterdam.

We later stayed at another apartment with a NYC expat in the same neighborhood.
Another time, we stayed at Hotel Schiphol, a large convention hotel 2 miles west of the airport. Their courtesy van would take us over to the airport where we'd catch the 12 minute train into Amsterdam's train station. The place has the nicest and largest rooms of any hotel we've ever stayed in--and the price is really right on weekends.
See what VBRO and AirBnB has for Amsterdam. The people you'll run into are pretty memorable.

Posted by
1825 posts

If you plan on the last week in April you'll be there for King's Day April 27 (you may want to Google it). Besides hotels already being booked there will be massive crowds.

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks for the heads-up, Richard. Would that be a good day, if I'm there then, to plan on one of the day trips, or would train schedules be different and crowds in other places anyway? Maybe best to try to avoid?

Posted by
2026 posts

We spent 8 days in Amsterdam and had a great time. Many fascinating cities are no more than an hour away by frequent trains all day. Very easy, very convenient, (too) many choices. We bought our tickets from the staffed desk in Centraal Station from the helpful and friendly folks - just have cash. We visited Delft, Utrecht, and others. The Waterland Bus Pass at 10 euro pp was a great day trip opportunity, and I hope it still exists when we return this May for the 4th time. I have never been during Kings Day, but on our first trip years ago considered it. Our timing was a problem, and our B&B owner, Peter Boogaard btw, advised us firmly: "Don't even think about trying to come into or leave the city on either end of the holiday. Public transportation will be swamped." We took him at his word. One day, though, we will be there. Have a wonderful trip in one of the greatest cities in Europe!

Posted by
271 posts

Thanks for the info about traveling on Kings Day. We were thinking of leaving that day--will it be a problem getting to the airport?

Also, we were thinking of The Seven Bridges hotel--anyone had any experience with it?

Posted by
1825 posts

This will be my first experience with King's Day but I'll go out on a limb and guess you won't want to walk with luggage to the train station. In Internet forum fashion, after my trip I'm sure I'll be an expert on the subject!

Posted by
271 posts

Richard, will you be there for King's Day this year? Since we're not big on crowds, we are considering arriving a day or two earlier and leaving on April 26th, when getting to the airport won't be an issue. I'm sure the celebration is an event, but then, so is New Year's Eve in Times Square, and as a native New Yorker, I would never think of going!