Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Amsterdam

Will be in Amsterdam from May 28-31 and are looking for a place to stay. We have Marriott points and would like to use them for the hotel. I was told to try to find a place in the inner canal. We will also need transportation to the airport on the 31 st for a 9:30 am flight.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by
1226 posts

Looking quickly for Marriott in Amsterdam I see the one by Vondelpark, and if you have points, stay there! Its a great location, near the Leidseplein and Jordaan and Nine Streets area, and of course the museums and park. You are within walking distance to all of these, plus away from the center of town which is where all the partying happens. I always stay near or beyond the outer ring. Walking to all of the places mentioned from that Marriott is easy, and you can take a tram to get to and from the center of town to see whats there (like The Old Church in the Attic, or the Oude Kerk, and Centraal station (which will take you to and from Schiphol easy peasy). The tram runs right to the hotel (if you look on a map, you can see the tram lines running from the hotel toward Centraal station). Trams just require cash (1.80 euro, if I remember, but you can easily look that up), and run frequently.

Posted by
94 posts

Agreed, that Marriott is in a great location. I stayed right down the street and some friends stayed at the Marriott and it was walking distance to the museums, Anne Frank house, restaurants, etc. Plus the tram is super easy to take. I also suggest the Dam Tour, it's a great walking tour that highlights the city. Have a wonderful time!

Posted by
354 posts

I have never stayed at the Marriott the prior posters alluded to, however, I often stay at the Marriott Renaissance and highly recommend it. Much closer to Central Station, only a 5 min walk to the hotel. Also, it hugs the Jordaan neighborhood and is quiet even though the main action is a mere few blocks away. If you have gold/platinum status, the executive lounge is top notch. Another option is the Sir Adam Hotel, just a short, free ferry ride from Central Station to Amsterdam North. It is a quirky hotel and is now part of the Marriott umbrella when Marriot and Starwood combined. Your points should go further at Sir Adam.

Posted by
13 posts

Thank you everyone for your input on the Marriott Hotel.
I just booked it with points!

Posted by
8373 posts

If you picked the Marriott by Vondel Park, I wanted to mention that the easiest and cheapest way to get to and from the airport is to take the Airport Express Bus which stops right at their front door. Better than train or taxi.