Please sign in to post.

Visiting Tulip Farms in mid-September 2016

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Netherlands in mid-September on 2016.
We would love to visit at least one tulip farm.

Any suggestions on possible candidates? Are tulips even in bloom that time of year?

Please advise, thanks!

Tom S.

Posted by
2487 posts

I'm afraid September is too late for the colour spectacle of the tulip fields. Late March until early May is the season, depending on the weather. But there are so many other worthwhile things to do in the Netherlands.

Posted by
7298 posts

Alternatively, consider looking for the annual Open Days weekend in September, when you might get to see some unusual attractions (not floral, that is) not normally open to the public. A second-choice for year-round flowers might be the weekday auction near Amsterdam, in Aalsmeer. The outdoor park of Hooge Veelue (check my spelling) will only have a few late perennials blooming in September, but it's a very pretty place, with a famous art museum to boot. The botanical garden in Amsterdam has some greenhouses.

Posted by
32747 posts

A second-choice for year-round flowers might be the weekday auction near Amsterdam, in Aalsmeer.

A good suggestion, but double check just before you go. They have been cutting back, and may not be open for public view by September.