Please sign in to post.

Visiting Amsterdam over Easter 2017 holiday

Any suggestions for visiting Amsterdam over Easter holiday 2017? We plan to arrive on Friday (Good Friday) and leave the following Friday which would mean we would be in Amsterdam during Easter & Easter Monday. I understand many places will be closed on holidays. What can we do during those two days? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Posted by
2111 posts

We were in Amsterdam in July and just loved it!

Roughly 12% of the population is Roman Catholic, compared to 88% for Italy. It's not that us Protestants don't celebrate Easter, but I'm thinking the celebrations in the Netherlands won't be quite as extensive or enthusiastic as they would be in Italy. I think they'll be plenty of things open and plenty to do.

You could check with the museums (Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum), I think they are open every day except Christmas. You could also make an excursion to Kinderdijk, the World Heritage site with the largest collection of windmills in the Netherlands. It's only an hour away by public transportation and well worth the visit.

The Anne Frank Museum was one of the most moving experiences we had while in Europe. If you just show up, the lines can be very long. They were an hour and a half when we visited. Luckily, we signed up for a tour of the Jewish section of Amsterdam, which included tickets to the museum. We walked right in. Try to find a tour that includes admission. It's well worth the cost not to have to stand in line.

If all else fails, you could just spend your time walking around the city. It is very walkable. You can always hop on the tram to get from one area to another. A 24 hour pass is only 7,50 euros. You can get all sorts of longer passes. For instance, I 5 day pass is 26,50 euros.

Amsterdam is charming. Just don't let the bicyclers run you over!

Posted by
9100 posts

Rijks, Van Gogh, Hermitage, Stedelijk, Anne Frank, and the Keukenhof Gardens are all open on Easter Sunday. No shortage of things to do.

Posted by
148 posts

Webb1997

We will be in Amsterdam the same exact time as you. We are however arriving Good Friday (apr 14) to board a river cruise, but will still be in port throughout Saturday evening and returning to Amsterdam the the following weekend for another overnight. Where are you staying?

If it's any help, we were in Paris for Easter last year and everything was open and you would have never know it was a holiday...except tons of tourists.
I just love Amsterdam and Keukenhof Gardens (in April) which is why we are doing the Tulips and Windmills river cruise. Kinderdijk is nice too, but I can't advise on how to get there. We visited as part of a Rhine river cruise in 2014. There is surely a lot to keep you occupied. I would love to go and just spend a week there and explore the surrounding areas.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you Cindy. We are not sure where we are staying yet. Still working on that. ;)

Posted by
1 posts

We are planning to go to The Netherlands next year ( 2017 ) end of April...
Easter Monday is like a Sunday...so most of the banks, post offices etc will be closed...However most of the stores will be open.
Many Dutchies will go to a Meubelboulevard or car dealers during those days..
My wife, who is Texan, wants to spend a few days in Amsterdam...I don't wanna stay too long in Amsterdam because I think there is much more to see than Amsterdam...

Posted by
13 posts

Hi there - Kukenhof is an absolute must! Get there right when it opens and you'll have the place to yourself for the first 20-30 minutes before the tour buses arrive. 2-3 hours at Kukenhof should be sufficient. If you have a car, take a trip through the bulb region and allow yourself to get lost driving up and down the streets. Pull over and enjoy the canals and views of the flowers....it's breathtaking! You could do Kukenhof in the morning and spend the afternoon in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam: canal cruise, Rijksmuseum, Van Gough, take a walk through Vondel Park, eat a dutch pancake. Enjoy your trip! The Netherlands are a beautiful place! Also, plan on rain (it's pretty unavoidable in the NL) :)

Posted by
11294 posts

"We are not sure where we are staying yet. Still working on that. ;)"

Get busy. April in Amsterdam is a peak time (tulips), and in general, demand outstrips supply in the city. So, you have to be prepared for more of search, and you may have to pay more and/or accept less for your money than you want.

Posted by
1 posts

Even we are planning on easter days, Amsterdam and Paris with my 3.5 year old son for about 5 days .Suggestions provided here will really help me... Thanks.
Waiting some more suggestions on favourable stay areas. Best way to explore places.