Please sign in to post.

Van Gogh Museum

I know there is another post that deals with this topic but I am wondering if anyone else has had experience getting tickets via other sources than the museum online ticket office. We are going to be there in a couple of weeks and it looks like everything is sold out. Thanks for any and all advice.

Posted by
13952 posts

Are they offering those tickets as part of a tour? And no, have only gotten them thru the museum itself. BTW, you may know this but there is not even an on-site ticket office there any more.

Posted by
8150 posts

Been there. I just better prefer the Riksmuseum down the street. Van Gogh was a big change in art and not my cup of tea.

First time we were at the Riksmuseum, we could walk right up to the paintings and see every brush stroke from 6 inches away. The big museums are now not so trusting of visitors.

Posted by
2353 posts

I don't believe you can get tickets anywhere but online from the museum, so if it's a third party tour company they would have purchased online tickets too. If you really want to go I would check daily online to see if by chance something opens up as you get closer to your travel dates, even the night before you want to go. As Pam said, there is no walk up ticket counter at the museum so you have to purchase online so make sure you have the website bookmarked on your mobile device and your credit card handy. And as David noted, there are a few lovely Van Gogh paintings in the Rijksmuseum, a solid second choice (and the museum has many other amazing works too)

Posted by
21 posts

You'll have no issue using a 3rd party like tiqets. They are all partners with the museum and are legitimate tickets.

Posted by
66 posts

We are heading to Amsterdam in June 2024. How far in advance would you suggest I book tickets for both major museums?

Posted by
2353 posts

Re: Bill's question - book the Van Gogh museum as soon as tickets open up for when you plan to visit. They're booking about 3-4 months out at this point https://tickets.vangoghmuseum.com/ I'd get your Rijksmuseum tickets at the same time, though it appears you can book tickets for June 2024 now. https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/tickets/articles June is a busy, busy time, if you have hopes on visiting, book as soon as you know your dates.

To Martin the OP, looking at the Van Gogh ticketing calendar this morning (Nov. 6) there are now a lot of tickets open for tomorrow morning, Nov. 7. So you may have some luck checking for last minute tickets as you get closer to your travel dates.

Posted by
87 posts

Regarding Bill's question, my experience this summer was different. We were in Amsterdam second week of July. I did not want to buy Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum tickets until I had my Anne Frank ticket times set which wasn't until 6 weeks ahead. I kept an eye on VG and Rijks and ended up buying 1 month ahead when there were still plenty of tickets for most times. I was surprised to see from Martin how tough it is to get tickets in November! So no promises it will be the same, but if you aren't ready to commit just check back on the tickets periodically- keep an eye on tickets 2-3 weeks before your time, and you'll see when they start selling out.

BTW- I highly recommend the first (9 or 9:15) tickets for both VG and RIjks. Early at VG is was till busy but seemed to be populated with people who cared about the art. Everyone (young, old, multiple languages) was polite about getting out of others way. Patient if someone wanted to step closer for a quick inspection. Very few selfie takers. By 11 it was the crowds rushing through just to find a picture they "recognized" for a photo. sigh Early at the Rijks we headed straight for the Gallery of Honour and got that finished as the hordes were descending. Both turned out not bad at all for mid July.

Posted by
27138 posts

It sounds as if tour groups buy a lot of tickets and then return the excess shortly before the date of visit. That may be why tickets suddenly become available on days previously sold out.

Posted by
1326 posts

At this moment the Van Gogh Museum has a special Van Gogh x Pokémon exhibit which is attracting huge crowds to the museum, even in November.
They also had a special Pokémon card that was meant as a sort of prize for kids after they completed the kids tour, but it became so popular with adults that things went completely out of hand and they had to stop handing out the card.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/news/van-gogh-museum-ends-free-pokemon-card-initiative-amsterdam-1234683313/amp/

Posted by
121 posts

Just wanted to let folks know that spaces at the Van Gogh museum opened up for mid-November. Not sure what the reason for it is but I guess it pays to keep checking website.

Posted by
331 posts

@Martin, thanks for checking back and letting us know that your perseverance paid off. It’s a wonderful museum, enjoy!

Posted by
13952 posts

Awesome! That is good to know. Until someone suggested it here, I'd not have realized that was doable. Glad it worked for you!

Posted by
2035 posts

Just yesterday I booked the Van Gogh Museum for the first week of February.

Posted by
159 posts

So I just tried to get online to make reservations for April and it will only allow me to look a a calendar through March. Has anyone else had a problem with this. thanks sue

Posted by
1326 posts

@Sue; please see my reply in the thread you started about this exact same question. It really isn’t a problem.