Please sign in to post.

Van Gogh Museum

How far ahead is recommended for purchasing tickets to the Van Gogh Museum? Am interested in visiting there (2 adults) on April 13th, 2025.

Posted by
265 posts

How far out can you buy tickets? Will your schedule be firm enough to by at that point?

I hate buying too far in advance, but that's the "norm" these days. I think the museum can and will fill up as you get closer to the date, so you will need to weigh whether "anytime on the 13th" works or there is a narrower window you need to think about. It looks like inside of 2 weeks is the point where you are likely not going to get a ticket online. April is relatively popular in Amsterdam, so it may be as bad (or worse) than right now.

I'd personally set a reminder to start checking a few months out and looking at how tickets were moving for your date.

Posted by
730 posts

We were in Amsterdam in mid April. We opted not go to to Van Gogh, (took in so many others on a long trip) but were on a tour with many folks who did have advance tickets (purchased on their own.) They bought far in advance, and several in our group who waited until a few weeks out were out of luck.

You know your date, so I would book as soon as their booking system allows.

Posted by
919 posts

The van Gogh Museum was one of the highlights of our stay in the Netherlands. The Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem was also a treat.

I had read visitor review comments to the effect that the van Gogh Museum didn't have enough works by the artist himself. They must live in an alternate universe. The museum is chock-full of his paintings and drawings, many of which are famous and many of which are largely unknown gems.

Posted by
496 posts

We will be at Van Gogh museum in one week. Very excited! Check their website. I think we got our tickets 2 mnths out.

Posted by
14533 posts

When I am going to buy tickets for this museum, I go to the official website several months ahead and start monitoring how far out the tickets are released and how quickly they are filling.

You will be there at a busy time of year. April 13 is Palm Sunday, April 20 is Easter, April 27 is Kings Day (or possibly the 26 since in 2025 the 27th is on a Sunday). This is school holiday time so very likely this museum will book out.

Since you seem to know which day you will want to visit, I'd book as soon as the tickets are available online so you can get the time you want.

Posted by
427 posts

If you are also planning to get Anne Frank tickets, which become available about 6 weeks in advance, I would get those first because they usually sell out faster than the Van Gogh. Many people, myself included, prefer to allow some time and space between major museum visits, if possible. Last October, 2 weeks in advance was fine for Van Gogh (and only a day in advance for the Rijksmuseum) but I am sure you would need to do it sooner for April.

Posted by
286 posts

A quick check of the website: The soonest I could get a ticket was 8/21 (12 days out). The latest I could get a ticket was October 31st. This suggests the soonest you'd be able to buy a ticket would be 1st of February?

Posted by
7886 posts

The Frans Hals Museum in Leiden was also a treat.

Maybe another museum, but the Franz Hals museum I am familiar with is in Haarlem.

But as others said, check the site, you will get an idea of how far out they release tickets, and when. Since you are firm with your date, buy as soon as you can.

If you will be going to the Rijksmuseum as well, tickets are easier to get, just a much larger venue.

Posted by
919 posts

Maybe another museum, but the Franz Hals museum I am familiar with is in Haarlem.

Absolutely correct. Old-timers Disease strikes once again.

Posted by
1529 posts

And since he was Dutch and not German his first name is spelled Frans, not Franz :-)

Back on topic; mid April is crazy busy in Amsterdam because of the blooming of the tulips. Tickets for museums like the Van Gogh museum and Anne Frank house should be booked sooner rather than later. I would suggest to keep an eye out on the website of the Van Gogh museum and grab the first time slot of April 13, 2025 as soon as it becomes available.