Please sign in to post.

Two Days in Amsterdam

Arriving by ship 5/25/24. Thinking of spending 2 days in Amsterdam before flying to London on evening of 5/26. Concerned about how practical on arrival at port to go from ship to hotel near airport. Ditch bags and then go back to city for remainder of day. Then spend next day in city before flying out that evening to London?? Any suggestions? Is that reasonable? Where to stay?

Posted by
5761 posts

First question is to check that you are actually arriving at Amsterdam Passenger Terminal in the City Centre. Some cruise lines use Ijmuiden at the seaward end of the Nord See Kanal, as Amsterdam.

If you are arriving at PTA (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam) then yes it's easy as the Centraal Station is just a short walk or one stop streetcar ride from PTA (the streetcar stops outside the terminal) or taxi, of course.
Very frequent trains from Amsterdam CS to Schiphol.

Ijmuiden would be a bit more involved.

What ship are you on, as I don't see a turn round ocean ship call at either port that day on the schedules. Both have day calls, but nothing that looks like a turn round.

Posted by
347 posts

there are a number of places in Amsterdam where you can store your luggage. The train station comes to mind. This would save you a round-trip to/from your hotel.

Posted by
7559 posts

From listening to cruise people, the wild card is how long it takes to get off the ship, once it arrives in port.

As for a place to stay, rather than the airport, look at hotels near the Sloterdijk Train station. It is only 5-10 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal, and 10 minutes from the airport.

Near Sloterdijk station are several reasonable priced chain hotels (Holiday Inn Express, Mercur, etc.)

Posted by
1309 posts

There is no need to stay out all the way at the airport. Especially when you don’t fly out in the morning. It makes much more sense to book a hotel in central Amsterdam near the cruise port. It will save you from going back and forth.
I have yet to stay in a hotel that didn’t allow me to store my bags after check out.
Also have you thought of taking the direct highspeed train from Amsterdam to London?