Please sign in to post.

Traveling alone to Amsterdam, 7 day river cruise and then 4 days in Amsterdam., April 2017

Hi Fellow Travellers,

Need your suggestions: I will be going on an Amsterdam-Belgium river cruise for 7 days in mid April. I will then stay on for 4 nites from the April 25th to 29 to catch things I missed. Any advice for:

-How to join the fun for King's Day? I hear the celebration starts the day before.
-Is it worth it to buy. museumkart or I am Amsterdam pass for 4 days? I will hit a few museums on the cruise but definitely want to see several more.
-Does one need the transportation that comes with the I am Amsterdam and other pass or do we walk and Uber places?
-Any suggestions for a small tour group to join for a bike ride, windmill town, cheese factory, and clog maker tour? I heard you can do them in one day.
-Since I'm alone, I chose a mainstream hotel, Doubletree Hilton Centraal. Is that a good choice for a single person? I didn't want to do a pension or B and B, too intimate for a single lady.
-Any recommendations for good bike rental companies?
-I've read that's I need to book trips and meuseums ahead of time.
-Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
Susan1133@aol.com

Posted by
137 posts

Can't say much on most of your questions, but as for cheese, we're planning on this tasting -
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188590-d1903817-Reviews-Reypenaer_Cheese_Tasting_Room-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

I hope others will let us know if it's as good as the reviews.

We're going to stay in Haarlem as the rates were much more reasonable and it's a quick train ride to the city or out to the windmills and flowers. It's also very easy to get there from the airport.

Posted by
2487 posts

The Museumkaart (mind the spelling) costs around EUR 60. You can check on their websites the entry prices of the museums you want to visit on your own whether it pays to have it. Take into account it saves you standing in a queue for buying a ticket. And having the card gives you the opportunity to visit other museums which you probably wouldn't have visited if you had to pay for it. (I always recommend the wonderful Portuguese synagogue and the no less wonderful - and nearby - Hermitage Museum.) It's not necessary to book museums in advance, not even the Rijksmuseum. In case you should be interested in the Anne Frank Huis: that's the exception.
Don't be tempted to ride a bicycle in the city. It's an unfamiliar place. It's unfamiliar traffic. You are cycling for fun, while all the others just want to get from A to B as quickly as possible.
For windmills and some traditional crafts and shops, the Zaanse Schans is an easy option if you don't mind an open-air museum. It's a less than 20 mins train ride to the station Zaandijk Zaanse Schans, from where it's a short walk.
An impressive windmill in its original location, which can be visited, is in nearby Haarlem (yes, the city that gave its name to a part of NYC). Beautiful city, not yet overcrowded by tourits, and with two interesting museums: the Teylers and the Frans Hals (the Museumkaart is valid with both). It's a 20 mins train ride from Amsterdam Centraal.

Posted by
1005 posts

Rick's Amsterdam book will have answers to these questions. The Doubletree Hilton is right next to the train station and close enough to the cruise dock that you can walk there. There is a MacBike rental shop at the train station, and one near the hotel called Star Rentals that is even cheaper. Consider riding the trams rather than using Uber to get places--public transportation in Amsterdam is excellent and your hotel is next door to the transportation hub at the station. If Anne Frank is not on your tour, go to the website immediately to see if there are any tickets left for the days you'll be there. You may be lucky and find some tickets, but usually they are snapped up exactly two months in advance--the day they are released to the public. Have fun in Amsterdam.

Posted by
312 posts

I've traveled alone quite a bit and I enjoy staying at B&Bs at least part of the time. It's a chance to meet fellow travelers, and sometimes to make joint plans for day trips. But of course it's a matter of personal preference.

I got a transit pass during my five days in Amsterdam and I used it quite a bit; that was partly because I stayed at a B&B south of town, so you might not need one. The tram network in Amsterdam is fantastic and goes all over the place, and sometimes if your feet are tired it's nice to hop on a tram.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all so far for helpful info. I am thinking of getting the Museumkaart pass because there are at least 5 museums that I want to see. As I know nothing about transit in Amsterdam, do I need one of the other passes instead that include either a few free museums or discounts and that cover transportation or will I be walking everywhere? Some have said that the taxi boats and buses are very reasonable. Thank you!

Posted by
2487 posts

Just walk. The centre is very compact (it's less than 45 mins to cross it from the Centraal Station to the Rijksmuseum), and it is an excellent way to explore the city.
If you find that prospect not attractive, you can buy a (multi-)day pass for tram and bus. The website of the GVB (the city transport corporation) gives the options and a map where you can buy these passes.

Posted by
731 posts

If you plan on going to the Van Gogh museum with your Museumkaart, it will allow you to get into one of the shorter lines, but it can still take a while to get in. Instead, if you know what time you want to visit, go to the Van Gogh website and get a timed reservation. When you go to pay, just select Museumkaart and you will get the reservation for free. This way you can go straight into the "timed entry" line and waltz right in.

Posted by
1113 posts

Hi Susan, I will be there at the same time you are going to be there but only for 2 days. We are leaving the morning of King's Day. Have you considered going to Keukenhof Gardens to see the tulips? It's only open for 6 weeks wvey spring and we are lucky to be there at that time. I went on the website and bought a ticket that includes bus transportation just to make it simple. Have a fun trip!