Please sign in to post.

Traveling alone

My 18 year old granddaughter will be in Amsterdam on her own for four days this summer. Any recommendations for a safe place to stay and how she should conduct herself?

Posted by
85 posts

Amsterdam (city centre) in general is a safe city. Like any other major city in Europe where there is a lot of tourism (city centre) there will be pickpockets. So take measurements to reduce the chance you will fall victim of that. When I go shopping in Amsterdam city centre I will have my debetcard under my clothes and wear a cross body bag for my other belongings. Just general precautions I would take in any other major city in Europe like Athens, Rome, Paris……… .
As we live in the Netherlands we don’t stay over in Amsterdam but if my 20 year old daughter wanted to stay over in Amsterdam in a ‘budget friendly ‘ place I would probably chose a hostel Iike The Bee Hostel as it has a women only dorm and is easy to reach and close to public transport ( which is nice at night-time) and has good reviews. There is a women only hostel in Amsterdam South-East (Bijlmer) but that’s an area I wouldn’t let my daughter stay.

Posted by
30 posts

My then 22 year old son will be doing the same thing in 2025. Any further recommendations for youth and budget friendly accommodations?

Posted by
1312 posts

I mean this in the best way possible, but I suggest that the 18 year old and the then 22 year old learn to do their own research. I appreciate you want to help them as (grand)parents, but I truly believe you will help them more if you let them figure things out on their own.
Get them a guide book to this part Europe, for instance those from Lonely Planet and let them read up on their destinations. Instagram/Tiktok etc also provide a wealth of information usually from people in their age group.

Posted by
2 posts

I learned of a female-only hostel via TikTok called "Hostelle". They have locations in London and Amsterdam, however I have not stayed there myself. I hope she has a wonderful time!

Posted by
5388 posts

I had the best time in Amsterdam as a 19 year old. Probably nothing a grandparent would want to hear, but it included many firsts….

I’m sure your granddaughter will figure it out herself.

Posted by
30 posts

Thanks for the comments so far. Any other recommendations for hostels and budget-friendly hotels in "safer" parts of the city?

Posted by
1 posts

I'd recommend the ClinkNOORD hostel. It's just across the IJ and is about 5-10 minutes from Amsterdam Centraal using a very frequent ferry. I stayed there just a few weeks ago as a young solo female traveler and felt very safe, even when coming home late. They also host activities in the evenings so it's easy to meet people.