Please sign in to post.

Transportation from airport to hotel

We arrive in the late afternoon May 27 in Amsterdam, staying at the Movenpick Hotel near the cruise ship docks. Suggestions other than the train? I read terrible reviews about the shutter Connexxion, has anyone had any recent experience and/or advice? I understand the train is convenient but at our age a shuttle service or taxi service works best. Any advice on companies to book with? Thank you!

Posted by
11153 posts

Where is this? Netherlands is tagged. Amsterdam or another city?

Posted by
23266 posts

If it is Amsterdam the train station is close some of the docks. Put the address into goggle maps and where the docks in relation to the train station. You only four choices -- walk, bicycle, train, taxi. Personally I would opt for the taxi.

Posted by
307 posts

The Moevenpick Hotel is an easy quarter mile from the Centraal Station in Amsterdam;
about a 5-10 minute walk.
Yes it is where the river cruise ships dock.
It is a very easy walk from the train station.
I would take the train; it is less expensive and easy to navigate.
Be sure to look at tofromleiden's post regarding the strike on the 28th.

Posted by
7544 posts

I am not sure why you are opposed to the train. It is easy, cheap, takes you directly to Amsterdam Centraal, which appears to be a short walk to your hotel.

I get it if navigating to the train, getting a ticket, arriving and figuring out where to go and lug bags, is a bit too much.

I do not have any experience with the Shuttle Connexxion, which appears to be a bus or van to take you to a hotel, but something like that is hard to screw up. Most complaints tend to be along the lines of "my hotel was last", 'It took too long", "they were late to pick me up"...honestly, all the pitfalls of taking a shared shuttle. If you are not in a hurry, it can be a decent cost option that takes you "door to door"

If you are more particular or in a hurry, then your option is a cab, costs more, but that is the trade-off.

Posted by
888 posts

If you really don't want to deal with the train and luggage nor a taxi, there are car services that pick you up at the airport. You can Google "Amsterdam car services" or contact the hotel for a recommendation.

Here's the email address from their website. hotel.amsterdam@movenpick.com

We river cruise with a company that always arranges transfers for us and that's how they do it. The drivers know our flight #/arrival time and stand outside of customs holding a sign with our name.