Please sign in to post.

Train travel

My husband, 14 yr old daughter and I are traveling to Europe and we're wondering if it's better to buy our train tickets individually for each leg, or if we should buy a pass. We will be in Europe for 13 days and will be arriving in Amsterdam. After a few days there, we will take a train to The Hague for one night then to Bruges, Belgium for 3 days. One day we will make a day trip to Ghent. We will then travel by train to Paris for 4 days before flying home. Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Heidi

Posted by
12040 posts

Rail prices are relatively cheap in the Netherlands and Belgium. A third party rail pass usually does nothing but increase your price, and it still requires you to make reservations and pay a hefty supplement to ride the high speed Thalys line, which runs the busy corridor from Amsterdam to Paris via Antwerp and Brussels (among other stops).

For most of these trips, you can simply arrive at the station, purchase tickets and jump on the next train. There are no advanced purchase discounts or seat reservations, and trains run very frequently. However, I know there is some issue with using non-EMV cards for purchasing tickets on Dutch Rail (NS). I have ridden it in years, so perhaps someone with more recent experience can comment.

If you want to ride Thalys between Belgium and Paris, however, I would buy these tickets online to take advantage of the advanced purchase discounts. The tickets become more expensive as your day of travel approaches.

Posted by
493 posts

Heidi,

There are pluses and minuses to each.

I usually prefer to buy a pass before I go so I don't have to worry about tickets once there. Also, with tickets, I don't have to tackle the language barrier at train stations, though that's minor plus given how prevalent English is. I get on the train and go.

There are negatives, too, to passes. Sometimes pass holders have to make seat reservations in advance, even with a pass, on popular routes. (Look for an explanation of this issue here on Rick's site.) Furthermore, passes mean less flexibility to try an alternative modes of transportation. You'll be in Netherlands, Belgium and France. I was in those same countries four years ago. I decided to buy a three-country pass, but Rick noted in his guide book that there is bus service from Brussels to Paris. The advantages of the bus are half the price than the train and a more picturesque route.

As I mentioned, I was in those three countries, too. You'll love them! Cheers.

Posted by
20003 posts

For the Thalys train to Paris, the reservation fee can exceed the cost of an advance purchase nonrefundable ticket. I think that would indicate not to get a railpass. All your other trips are short range and should be pretty cheap. Don't worry about language, should not be a problem. Even on the ticket vending machines, you can select English.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for your advice! I think we'll just do the tickets as we go and also check into taking the bus from Brussels to Paris. That's a great point that you made about the lower fare and it being more picturesque, as well. I appreciate the help!

Heidi

Posted by
2427 posts

I would also suggest printing out a copy of the full train schedules (include the stops and transfers) for the days that you know you will be traveling and take that with you. That way you will know your options. It came in handy for us when we were in countries where English wasn't always spoken. If the ticket agent didn't speak English, I simply circled the train and departure time that we wanted and there was no miscommunication.

Posted by
20003 posts

Of course the bus goes at half the speed of the Thalys. Intercity buses are getting quite posh, but I still prefer the train where you can get up and walk around and perhaps chat with people in the bistro car.

Posted by
5 posts

Mary- That's an excellent idea. Do you have a website that you recommend for printing out the schedules?
Thanks-
Heidi

Posted by
5 posts

Skip my last question...don't know what I was thinking! Rick's website has that info.