Please sign in to post.

The Hague

We will be in The Hague for two days in August. While we have reservations for Mauritius, we are wondering if anyone has recommendations for an overall Hague tour on our first day there?

Posted by
330 posts

This past April, my husband and I spent 5 nights in The Hague (Den Haag). I hesitate to say do this or that without knowing more about your priorities. Besides the Mauritshuis, what are your interests?

We’re big art museum people and enjoyed the Mauritshuis and the Kunstmuseum with their very nice modern collection which included Escher and Mondrian. The art deco building itself was an added treat.

We also enjoyed just wandering the shopping district and parks in the areas around the Mauritshuis where we were staying. We caught a flea market and a plant market on different days. If you’re interested in sampling some Dutch apple pie, I can recommend the bakery restaurant Dudok.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks, Jen.
Art museums and historical sites are top of our list. 😊
Appreciate your advice!
Do you know of any good tours that would give us an excellent overall introduction to Den Haag?

Posted by
330 posts

Thanks for clarifying your question. I’m not aware of a city tour.

Posted by
501 posts

I can’t recommend any tours - I was there for a few days and I didn’t see any specific tours offered. But couple of observations as you’re into art.

I went to the Mauritshuis mid-afternoon, having noticed it looked really busy in the morning. This was last July. It was really quiet at about 3 or 4pm and I was alone in a room with Girl with a Pearl Earring for several minutes, which was such a joy.

Also, if you’re into art, the Panorama Mesdag is lovely and very unusual and serene. It’s just off the tram route/walk from the city centre to Scheveningen.

https://panorama-mesdag.nl/en/