Please sign in to post.

The Best of Europe in 21 Days -

Lodging for the first two nights of this tour as is at the Hotel Li onD' OR Haarlam. Considering booking 3 or 4 nights prior to the tour on my own. Looks as if many attractions nearby, I always arrive early - and most the tour time is actually spent in Amsterdam. Questions - do any have first hand knowledge of this hotel - any reason to stay elsewhere - and gladly welcome any advice / recommendations for the entire tour. First of October, if that makes any difference to must - sees. Thank you.

Posted by
8375 posts

I really enjoyed the Corrie Ten Boom home in Haarlem. You go to the website and arrange a reservation for an English language tour.

You can find the book about her family, their work, hiding and saving Jews, as well as her time in the Concentration Camps and read in advance . “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom. There was also a movie made by the same title.

I had the privilege of hearing her speak in the 1970’s. Truly an amazing woman who lived her faith daily.

Posted by
13934 posts

I do not have first hand knowledge of this hotel as my 21 day BOE stayed in another nearby hotel. However, this is a standard RS hotel and I'd have no problems booking a few days ahead in it. I do recommend you go in to Amsterdam at least once on your own (very easy) as there is so much to see and you will just have the one (loooonnnng) tour day in town.

On Trip Advisor Lion d'Or is currently ranked as #3 out of 21 hotels in Haarlem and well ahead of the one I stayed in, lol.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g188593-a_sort.popularity-Haarlem_North_Holland_Province-Hotels.html

As I mentioned on your thread about the Paris ending hotel....this tour changes hotels a lot and honestly I'd give yourself a break and just stay in the same location if a room is available. You are very close to the train station so an easy walk. It's also not too far to the cathedral and market square so a good location all in all.

Posted by
86 posts

Again - proves my point - always ask the smart kids in class. Good advice - thank you.

Posted by
36 posts

I stayed at the hotel in January, third time overall. I highly recommend it. Recently remodeled, great breakfast buffet, easy access to trains and buses. Also walking distance to many attractions.

For a fun activity, there's a bike rental a couple doors over (toward the train station.) It's about a 40 minute bike ride to the coast, easy peasy.