Please sign in to post.

Staying in Amsterdam

Hello Everyone
I will be travelling to Amsterdam and need two rooms from June 4 to June 8. I am finding the hotels expensive. Can anyone suggest a good area for seeing museums and historical sites. Also any recommendations about places to stay. Thanks in advance

Posted by
4637 posts

Stay in Haarlem. It's cheaper. Very easy to commute to Amsterdam.

Posted by
2487 posts

I support Haarlem. Same travelling time from Schiphol airport. Eight trains per hour to Amsterdam Centraal, taking less than 20 minutes. And it's a nice and agreeable historical city, worth staying for its own sake.

Posted by
711 posts

We like the hotel Fita... Close to museums and has a wonderful breakfast... Also has an elevator.

Posted by
7977 posts

Amsterdam is a good city to priceline hotels if you don't mind staying in big plastic chains. You can get locations for reasonable amounts.

Posted by
245 posts

Depending on what is expensive to you, we have stayed several times at Hotel Wiechmann --love the location, the rooms and breakfast. I would highly recommend. It is within walking distance to museums, Anne Frank house, restaurants on Prinsengracht Canal.
We have also stayed in Delft - a short train ride away...and mini-Amsterdam, with of course the Delft factory.

Posted by
202 posts

I'm the most frugal traveler I know and I just stayed on a boat next to the Nemo Science Center. It was fun and less than a hostel. I booked it on Booking.com. There are a bunch of boats in the harbor and they all list on Booking. 3 years before my family of 5 stayed at a hostel near the park. We got a family room (a dorm room for just our family) and it worked out nicely and was affordable for Amsterdam.

Posted by
161 posts

If you want to stay in Amsterdam itself, try the Jordaan. We did well with Air BnB for a real apartment where you can enjoy the farmer's market and local cheese store and make the most of a casual life there, while enjoying the museums, a noon concert at the symphonic hall, a water cruise, etc.

Cleo