Please sign in to post.

Side trips from Amsterdam

Hello!
I am going to Amsterdam in June with my boyfriend. We are thinking of doing some side trips. It seems like there is to many to choose from!
Are there multiple places that we can squeeze into in one day? We are young so having the energy to wake up early and going to bed late from traveling wont be an issue! I know there are the many windmills, the tulips, the castles, etc. We also heard about an amusement theme park? any thoughts on visiting that?

Posted by
3813 posts

We did side trips to Haarlem, and Delft; but our favorite was to Edam/Volendam/Markem on a Wednesday for the cheese market. We took the bus (localbus.nl) from Central Station. But get there early for a good seat.

Posted by
11125 posts

Leiden and Delft work well together. Both are so beautiful.
The Hague needs it’s own day, beautiful, interesting, Mauritshaus Museumis special. Haarlem is quite near Amsterdam so you can go there for a half day easily.
Rotterdam needs it’s own day too. We loved visiting Kinderdijk from there too, UNESCO site.

Posted by
11294 posts

Do you have Rick's Amsterdam & The Netherlands book? He not only describes lots of varied daytrips (from cities to smaller towns to more rural areas), and gives goof-proof directions about getting there from Amsterdam, but also suggests places that combine well in a single day.

In June, the tulips will be finished blooming - prepare now, so you're not disappointed.

Posted by
3940 posts

My husband and I visited Madurodam (Den Haag) and had a blast. And we are middle aged with no kids. If you like detailed miniatures of buildings and whatnot...it was great. We also stopped at the Het Paleis (Summer Palace) for the MC Escher exhibit - hubby is a fan of his art.

We did Kinderdijk as a day trip from Dordrecht - loved it (except for the cold - but it was April).

Posted by
2025 posts

We really liked the Waterlands Day Ticket €10 pp. You can go wherever you want and it was easy to make connections throughout the day. Our day took us through Monnickendam to Volendam, Maarken and Edam. A short boat ride, too. Likewise, frequent trains and short journeys make lots of places easily accessible. Many years ago we visited Zaanse Schans, a sort of ? Dutch Williamsburg. We couldn’t get to Kinderdyk last May, but it’s still on my list. I’ve read of combining Delft and The Hague in a day, but we spent all our time in Delft (The Girl with the Pearl Earing wasn’t receiving guests that day). I wouldn’t count on tulips in June, however. Enjoy your trip to wonderful Amsterdam and The Netherlands, and safe travels.

Posted by
1425 posts

I'm guessing the amusement park you are referring to is the one already mentioned - Madurodam. We took our 11 year old there and we all really enjoyed it, but if I had a tight schedule I don't think I'd include it in a "top 10" type list for a young adult.

Posted by
24 posts

Maybe you heard about the amusement park called Efteling? I mentioned it in an earlier topic; https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/netherlands/your-favorite-day-trips-from-amsterdam

It's quite a trip from Amsterdam, but well worth it. The park's theming is a bit like Disney's, but I think it's more 'cosy'. Don't expect extreme rides, however. It will probably be less crowded if you go on a weekday. You can plan the route via ns.nl/en or via 9292.nl/en, select 'Kaatsheuvel, Efteling' as destination.