Please sign in to post.

Side trip to Luxembourg?

I’m doing a bike trip in the Netherlands next April and will arrive a week early to explore Amsterdam and the immediate surroundings. After the bike trip ends I have 2 more weeks to explore. I’m definitely going to Belgium. Does anyone have advise/suggestions for the other week? I’m wondering about Luxembourg…… Of course, there is always Paris!!!

Posted by
32709 posts

I’m wondering about Luxembourg

a day trip or a few days?

the countryside or Luxembourg City?

I've stayed in both

Posted by
33 posts

I’d like to stay a few days if I go. I’m open to either/both - countryside or city! Would love your insights/recommendations.

Posted by
6788 posts

Luxembourg is under-rated and under-appreciated by North Americans (though they do get plenty of tourists from neighboring countries). There are good things to see there. Probably not 2 weeks worth though.

With 2 full weeks, I'd probably be tempted to venture beyond Belgium and Luxembourg. But it depends on where you have already been, where you haven't, and your specific interests. Also your "pace" (are you planning to get around by bike, if so, that presumably would slow you down a bit).

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks so much! I’m thinking I might spend 3-4 days in Luxembourg? Does that seem right? I love to bike and hike and wander around cities. Not breakneck pace but definitely active. I’d be open to both city and country time. I’ll probably take a train to Paris for a few days as well.

Posted by
6788 posts

Take a look at Vianden. Cute little town in the narrow Our River valley, with steep, narrow streets, huge fortified castle overlooking town from a nearby hillside (on my first trip through the area, there was a large bike event going through the town -- the hills looked my idea of bike hell, but you probably have better thighs than me). Mullerthal, aka "Little Switzerland". Some pretty wooded river valleys. Lots of other cool stuff nearby, perfect for a few days. It's also a quick hop to pretty parts of Germany (more castles, wineries, the old Roman city of Trier, lots of WWII history). The capitol city of Luxembourg (Luxembourg Ville) is worth a brief stop, too, with more than its fair share of authentic "old world charm", and a dramatic setting with a gorge and old fortifications right in the city itself. Not grand like big city capitols, but with more per capita charm. You'll like it. Biggest problem you'll have is explaining to others ("justifying") why anyone would want to go there (I often find that's a good indicator). Ignore them, it's your secret.

Posted by
33 posts

Thanks David! Good advice. Not sure my bike legs will be up for a lot of steep climbing but we’ll see!!

Posted by
32709 posts

Casemates in Luxembourg City with incredible history and fab views.

All those mentioned above plus Diekirch which has a museum dedicated to the WW2 Luxembourg experience and the Nazi invasion, and the Battle of the Bulge. Small but perfectly formed, staffed by volunteers who care, understand and know. The dioramas show the events from the points of view of soldiers and civilians on all sides. Very, very well done. Given covid they may be down on staff - check before travel.

http://www.mnhm.net/ng/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NationalMuseumofMilitaryHistory_(Luxembourg)

All public transport - buses, trains, trams - in the entire country is now free to use.

General Patton's grave is with his men, near the airport.

Schengen is not only a way to stay in Europe and cross borders easily it is a city on the Moselle River with great views (not large).

Nearby Schengen is a place to rest and recover those tired thighs. https://www.mondorf.lu/en I have never used it but have visited it several times and was impressed. Surrounding it is my favourite Luxembourg garden, the Parc Thermal de Mondorf les Bains which is also on the same website. It contains all sorts of gardens and trees, including Sequoias, and a small but fun free Aviation Museum, and at the far end of the Park is a really nice rose garden set in swirls and concentric paths. Beautiful in rose season. This is along the French border.

The country has a hilly section on the river called Swiss Luxembourg with lots of campgrounds, and the area in the southwest was famous for its iron and coal mining blending into the forests of the Ardenne,

All along the rivers are huge and never ending vineyards, making the wine of the country, and beer manufactory is also big. So if you drink you are sorted. Bitburg just across the border in Germany also makes famous beer.

You won't get bored, and if you do the German Saarland is just over the border, as is Metz in France. You're not a million miles from the Champagne areas either.

Posted by
2124 posts

A few years ago, we spent 4 nights in Diekirch on a geneology trip but wish we had stayed in Ettelbruck. It’s a lovely little city which is also a transportation hub for all trains & buses, which are now free. I don’t have a hotel name but I saw one near the bus/train depot. Every train or bus we took changed in Ettelbruck so we spent lots of time wandering there. Farmers market on Friday morning was fun.

The WWII museum in Diekirch was fascinating. After the battle of the bulge, local farmers cleared their fields of military equipment & artifacts left behind — tanks, uniforms, guns, whatever. Initially stored in barns, they aggregated it in Diekirch, in a sprawling building. You can rent an audio guide or just wander. A highlight for us were the letters & photos from American servicemen who had fought there. Luxembourgers love America — after liberation, they cut up Nazi flags to make American flags to wave when Patton paraded through town.

As mentioned, the castle at Vianden is worth seeing. Also there’s a chateau in Clervaux where the famous Family of Man photo exhibit (which toured the world) is now on permanent exhibit. Luxembourg is a clean, friendly little country which I think you will enjoy.