Please sign in to post.

Schiphol question

After flying in to Schiphol from the U.S., how long should we plan to wait before departing on an intra-European flight? We are due to arrive at 8:20 a.m. and can choose to leave on EasyJet or KLM at 11:45, 13:30 or 17:15. My recollection is that our overseas flights have generally been on time, but... I'm a little nervous. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Posted by
7049 posts

I would take 11:45 - that seems like plenty of time to me. Schiphol is a nice, organized airport.

Posted by
8125 posts

You're okay at 11:45 a.m. It's a great airport, and you'll have no problem meeting your other aircraft.

Posted by
5835 posts

AMS is a generally good/comfortable airport to go through passport control and make connections. A 90 minute connection at AMS is very comfortable, especially if you connect is not the last flight of the day. That said, it is better (more worry free) to have all of your flights to you final destination on a single ticket. If you miss a connection while on a single ticket, you are still the ticket sellers responsibility to get you to your destination. On the other hand, if for example you have a Delta/KLM to AMS and a separate ticket from AMS onward, Delta/KLM is only responsible to getting you to AMS and if delayed, not their problem that you missed your onward flight.

Posted by
4637 posts

11:45 should be OK. That's what I would take. I was connecting in Schiphol at least 20 times and only once missed my connection and they put me on later flight. Delta and KLM are in partnership so if you miss your connection you fly later. It would be more complicated missing Easy Jet connection. Go with KLM.

Posted by
9099 posts

Definitely go with the KLM 11:45 flight. If your US flight is delayed and you miss Easyjet flight, those tickets will be worthless. Discount airlines have no sympathy for missed connections. Whereas KLM will put you on a later flight.

Posted by
1059 posts

We flew from LAX to Schiphol then on to Milan. Our bags were checked thru to Milan. Upon arrival, we immediately went to Customs or Imigration and were waiting for our connecting flight after only 15 minutes from getting our our flight from LAX. After we went thru Customs or Imigration there was nothing in the terminal to do. I wished we hadn't been in such a hurry to get thru Customs or Imigration and could have killed some time in the shopping center. Take the early flight.

Posted by
4037 posts

Connecting to easyJet is much different than to a flight booked in conjunction with your trans-Atlantic passage. easyJet is stand-alone; no luggage transfer nor joint tickets with other airlines. You would need to check in on-line in advance, plus baggage limits and fees must be handled separately and rules for luggage are stricter. If you are flying with Delta or Air France, partners with KLM, your luggage might be transferred for you and security procedures will be simpler. Putting both flights on one ticket is usually more economical than booking with KLM separately. While I am a fan of easyJet for one-flight travel, the combo ticket with KLM offers distinct advantages.