Please sign in to post.

Rome to Amsterdam

Is there a nice train to travel from Rome to Amsterdam or is it better to fly? I was thinking ofa night sleeper train!

Thank you!
Carole

Posted by
8122 posts

If you are not planning to stop off somewhere in between Amsterdam and Rome. you'd be better off flying. It is less expensive and no where near as physically exhausting as taking the series of trains that you will need to take; a non stop flight takes 2:30 and they depart early morning, afternoon or late evening.

Posted by
283 posts

I always rely on seat61.com for all train related issues in Europe and the UK. He has a detailed section on train travel between Rome and Amsterdam.

Posted by
7280 posts

The train will take you about 21 hours. It should be a sleeper from Rome to Munich (NJ 294) at about 8pm, arriving at about 9am, then an ICE to Frankfurt, changing there for another ICE to Amsterdam, arriving at 5.30pm.

Both ICE's have restaurant cars,

It is a bit confusing as at the moment DB are saying you need to take a day train to Florence and join the Nightjet there at 9.48pm.

Or a day train (changing at Verona, with 55 minutes between trains) to Innsbruck at 10.10, arriving at about 6.30pm. Time for dinner in Innsbruck then NJ 420 at 8.44pm arriving at Amsterdam at 10am next day.

Posted by
164 posts

Thanks to those who responded!! I’ve realized that flying will be the best choice!