Please sign in to post.

Rhine and Danube Cruise Delays, Rerouting and Projected Water Levels

I have been reading continually about the unfortunate extreme drought happening in the waterways in Europe.
Having traveled there previously several times, this time I booked a Rhine cruise for my husband and me. I have been keeping watch once we heard of the possible route switch or ship swap.

Still no word from the cruise lines. Is anyone else experiencing this lack of communication?

Each time I call to check in they tell me that they still "don't know" but will make every effort to accommodate the passengers.

The main destinations on this cruise are the entire reason I booked this cruise. I spent my undergrad years in Strasbourg so wanted to revisit the many beautiful German towns sharing it with my husband. So today after my 5th call they informed me that the majority of the original distinations may no longer be available; instead hoping over them and going on to Belgium. If I wanted a Belgian tour I would have booked THAT one. I have already been several times; not interested. So now also they informed me that it will be another couple of weeks before they can tell us. AND that we are past the full refund point. (glad I invested in trip cancellation insurance). Other cruise lines are offering vouchers or partial refunds even up to the departure dates. But not ours (
AMA). I chose AMA because they were supposed to be a step up from Viking which we went on two years ago - the Danube Christmas market cruise, the cruise itinerary was perfect, altough it was freezing and actually snowed in Budapest before we departed...but the food was substandard and not what I had experienced on previous Viking river cruises. So, we went with AMA this time. It seems a step up...Really? TBD.

So now that I have vented this. I am asking or your suggestions what we might do in lieu of the week from November 10-17? It was supposed to be relaxing. Not schlepping our bags, not having to secure hotels and buying meals, I am trying to be positive, but so very disappointed. My husband is pretty disgusted. I have always been the traveler/planner. He has very reluctantly gone along and for the most part , we have enjoyed our time together.

So should we find another cruise? somewhere in Europe not affected by drought conditions? revamp our itinerary two weeks out from our initial departure, cancel and collect our insurance money and go home, or what? I am open to ALL of your suggestions and advice. Thanks so much.

Posted by
7804 posts

What are the terms of your cancellation insurance? Do you have 'cancel for any reason' coverage? If not, it's doubtful that your insurance would pay out. Itinerary changes due to adverse water levels are a known problem, and all the cruise lines cover this in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you booked the cruise. To date, most of the companies cruising the Rhine and Danube are not issuing a final Itinerary until about a week from embarkation due to the fluctuations in water levels. Some companies, instead of cash refunds are offering vouchers for cruises within the next year. Some are offering compensation if passengers continue with the amended itineraries. For many passengers still waiting to cruise this year, it's a matter of trying to be patient and waiting for the final decision on their particular cruise.

Posted by
100 posts

Some very complicated questions. The cruise line is telling you nothing because, frankly, whatever they might say would be pure speculation at this point. Every cruise line is telling future passengers the same thing now. I'm attaching the most recent page of Cruise Critics' 54-page discussion of Rhine water levels this year, and the reactions of passengers and cruise lines to these challenges:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3096138-rhine-water-levels-2026-plus-info-and-tips/page/54/

As for what to do, wow, that's a tough one. From the Cruise Critic discussion boards, each cruise line seems to be taking a different approach. And the water is normally rising this time of year, although the water level at some spots is still lower than what used to be the record before this year, so a large amount of doubt still exists even for November. You make it clear that a revamped itinerary would be unsatisfactory; the problem is that the cruise company is not yet ready to officially give up on the planned itinerary. Will your insurance reimburse you if you cancel before a change in itinerary? If so, canceling is a viable option. If not, you may decide to play a game of chicken with AMA, waiting to see what itinerary, refunds, future discounts it offers before deciding to cancel. It's a tough choice that only you can make.

Posted by
3183 posts

Take the insurance. Too bad they have such a poor policy. Other cruiselines are offering a 60% future cruise credit if you do the Netherlands/Belgium cruise ( seems to be what most of the others are doing )

Posted by
24215 posts

That is a risk, at all times, with a river cruise. Done four with Viking -- had two problems -- once with high water and another time with low water. Had to change boats and were bused between the different ships. Handled very smoothly and min inconvenience except that we did have to pack up to make the transfer. The ships are used to dealing with this problem . Unless you are a rigid traveler, you will be fine. Every river cruise we have been on warned us, in writing, that water levels can be a problem and last minute adjustments may be necessary. Just roll with it.

Posted by
506 posts

There was a thread about a month or so ago from a couple who were also left without a river cruise but decided to take themselves off to Europe, rent a car and just wing it, which they did. If it were me I would take myself off to Europe and do something independent with some of the cities I had missed out on, rather than forfeit my airfare. I would also pick a base and use it for day trips - unpack once. Maybe you could do the Middle Rhine gorge from Mainz or Boppard. You have the whole Rhine up until Cologne and down to Frankfurt, Mainz and Wiesbaden. Sadly the riverbanks will not be green but people are starting to be festive and cozy indoors. If you can push it out to the end of November you will have Christmas markets. Sounds like a plan?

Lavandula

Posted by
27866 posts

I think you have been to the Markets here in Budapest or I would suggest that just fly down here and relax for a week. See some shows, eat some good food, shopping and warm baths. The Markets open on the 13th of November. I think it’s wonderful if you got to see some snow in Budapest two years ago. It only snowed on 4 days that year (and most is about that much) and because our afternoon temps are so high nothing ever accumulates on pavement.

Posted by
7804 posts

A follow up to my earlier post. We are due to embark on our SCENIC cruise out of Amsterdam next Wednesday. We just received the update from the company with the amended itinerary. As anticipated, we will be hopping from ship to ship by bus for part of the trip, but will only spend the last night in a hotel ( in Budapest). They have offered several different options. A partial refund or future cruise credit if we continue with this cruise. If we choose not to proceed, we have the choice of taking the same cruise next year, a future credit to be used within the next year, or a full refund. Of course your cruise line may offer something different. But I highly doubt they will do anything until a week or so before your sailing. My earlier recommendation to be patient and wait still applies. But if you can afford to cancel and lose the cost of the cruise now, then you should do as you feel you must.

Posted by
2 posts

All good replies; thank you. Yes have since connected with an actual manager who was quite attentive to my concerns.

We have a few viable options moving forward; in two weeks we should know whether or not they will adjust the itinerary at which time we can either choose to cancel and be "rewarded" with a full voucher of equal value for a 2026 or 2027 cruise.

Or, we can choose to remain on the adjusted cruise itinerary and receive a 40% voucher to apply to a future cruise. All will be exactly as it is supposed to be. Learning to be flexible and enjoying the journey.

Thanks again for your support.

Posted by
7804 posts

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks, Mr É. I'll try to post my thoughts on our river cruise/bus trip after we get back