Please sign in to post.

Public transportation

If I have the I Amsterdam city card for public transportation do I need to use GVB as well?

Posted by
6231 posts

No, if the I Amsterdam card covers your stay. For example, if it's valid for only 48 hours and you are staying in Amsterdam for 5 days, you may want to supplement it with the GVB card for the remaining days. But generally the I Amsterdam card covers all public transportation for the specific amount of time you buy it for.

And if memory serves me correctly, it also covers the train ticket from/to the airport, which the GBV card does not.

Posted by
6 posts

Correcting the statement about the I amsterdam card and the airport train:

In general, I amsterdam City Card does NOT give you free travel by train or direct Amsterdam Airport Express bus (bus line 397, which is operated by Connexxion company).

BUT here is the trick: you can still travel to/from Schiphol with the GVB transport. If you are travelling from Amsterdam to Schiphol, take a tram line 2, which departs from Amsterdam Central station. Ride to Antwerpenbaan tram stop (it will take 40 minutes). Here you need to switch to the GVB bus line 69, direction Schiphol Airport/Plaza, which will take you to the airport in 12 minutes.

So that is a 52 minute transit (plus transfer time), where the direct train is 20 minutes for 5.40E. Plus you'll start your transporation clock and won't even be checked into your hotel. The work around doesn't seem very efficient use of time and money to me.

And I didn't realize that the transportation and museum portions of the card are on their own 72-hour schedule from activation (which explains why I was able to get an included canal cruise when my transit pass period had expired.

https://holland-explorer.com/i-amsterdam-city-card/

Glenn