Please sign in to post.

Prime time for tulips April, 2018?

I've read online that it's been a cool spring and that tulip blooms have been delayed. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge for mid April or website suggestions? I've signed up for the Keukenhof newsletter twice to no avail.

Posted by
2487 posts

Last week the temperatures were well above normal. The weather forecast yesterday evening showed the tulip fields in full colour.

Posted by
32752 posts

That's great news, ton.

I'd considered dropping my trip next week but your news means I'll probably make the jump across the channel. Thanks.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you so much for your exciting news, Ton! We prefer small towns, so were thinking of staying in Haarlem. Are there other small towns you would suggest? We will arrive on April 11 and plan to stay a week.

Posted by
3952 posts

Conwaynancy1, if you are going to be in Haarlem on the 13th or 18th and want to meet up for a drink with some other RS travel forum people who are in town to see tulips, we are meeting informally at 5 PM at the Jopenkerk Grand Café during the time you may be in Haarlem. Ton?

Posted by
2487 posts

Haarlem is nice. Don't forget to visit the Frans Hals and/or Teylers museums.
And, although I might be somewhat biased, Leiden is also well worth a look for accommodation.

Posted by
3952 posts

I highly recommend Leiden too as we stayed there on a previous trip and will be visiting a friend there on this trip. Very easy to get into Amsterdam and around Holland from Leiden.

Posted by
518 posts

Tomfromleiden
We are planning to spend a day in Leiden. What’s your favorite lunch spot?

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. We've decided to wait until next year to enjoy the tulips. I have many good ideas now for our future trip thanks to your input!