Please sign in to post.

One day in Amsterdam

Hello forum friends- My 18 yo daughter and I will have 1 day in Amsterdam on the way to Scotland June 26. Arrive AMS 07:45 from YUL, leave AMS 21:35 to INV. KLM Business Class, carry-on only - will leave carry on roller bags in storage at AMS while sightseeing. Unfortunately I miscalculated on the Anne Frank House tickets and missed the date last week that I might have been able to purchase. Very sad about this. I will check the site each Tuesday in case tix become available - would this be most likely 1 week before ?? Whether or not we are able to visit the Anne Frank House, I am looking for recommendations on what else we will have time to do and what time we need to be back at Schiphol for the flight to Inverness (non-schengen? , but Business Class so apparently there is a faster security line). From what I have read, the options that appeal to me most would be Jordaan, Nine Streets, Bloemenmarkt, Anne Frank House (of course, but no tix yet!) and Van Gogh Museum. Is this too much to do and still get back to Schiphol on time? Other suggestions for an efficient and pretty itinerary to maximize our day?
Thank you in advance for advice.

Posted by
458 posts

It definitely doesn't hurt to check, as not all that long ago, there were some tickets released a week out. Check every Tuesday at 10am AMS time which in the US is middle of the night. But most likely, if you missed the Tuesday 6 weeks out that tickets went on sale for your date to visit Anne Frank, you've missed it. They don't usually add more tickets later for that week; they open for the next 6th week out. Once your date is sold out, it's usually sold out, and since they don't refund or offer cancellations, there's no sudden openings. But one can be hopeful. I'd keep your eye on the website.

We just flew out of AMS on Delta. Since there's no Delta counters at AMS (thank you forum for helping me out on understanding that last minute!) we went through KLM. Because we had Sky Priority, which I would think you do as well, you are correct, there is a separate Sky Priority area, BUT that was really only a helpful timesaver if you had luggage to check. (We did!) Otherwise, after Sky Priority everyone funnels through the same TSA equivalent, and same passport control area. (At least that was our experience; someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Please get tickets in advance for the Van Gogh museum, if you really want to do that as it also sells out. I would suggest you start there, but of course you have to calculate the time you think you would arrive (I would arrive via taxi from the airport) because I believe it's timed arrival at Van Gogh. (You have no way of knowing if your flight arrival will be on time, and how long immigration will take, so it's an optimistic guess.) Then you have to figure out how to get around everywhere else. The tram is user friendly, with tap in/out credit card. (You each need a different credit card or one credit card; one Apple Pay.) I can't speak for how easy it is to get back to the airport, as our hotel reserved a taxi hotel pick up for us the night prior. When we were there, the trains from centraal station weren't running to the airport, due to maintenance. I'd have a real clear plan on how to get back to the airport to alleviate any time stress. Hopefully, someone with loads more experience can offer good info.

I would definitely consider a canal cruise boat tour. Relaxing and a nice overview!

Bloemenmarkt was a disappointment for me. I'm not sure what I thought it would be, but pictured loads of fresh flowers and beauty. Mostly, it was boxes and boxes of prepackaged bulbs and refrigerator magnets and postcards. Each stall the exact same.

I can't offer you an opinion on how much you can do within your timeframe. Though we were just there last month, we weren't trying to figure it all out in part of one day. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy! But, probably less is more realistic.

Posted by
11364 posts

Add the Rijksmuseum which is very near the Van Gogh Museum. You can visit the highlights such as “ The Night Watchman” and “The Milkmaid”.

Posted by
1393 posts

“but Business Class so apparently there is a faster security line). “

True, if you fly KLM business class you have a red square on your boarding pass that says Sky Priority. This allows you to use the designated Sky Priority security checkpoints. To easiest way to find these is to get yourself to the Sky Priority bag drop for non-Schengen flights and ask a member of staff to show you the way. Your boarding pass will be checked to verify that you are eligible. Please be aware that after security you will also need to go thru passport control as you will leave the Schengen zone.
I don’t know which airport YUL is, but if it’s outside the Schengen zone, you will also need to go thru passport control when you arrive at Schiphol on your incoming flight and want to leave the airport. Sky Priority does not allow you priority at passport control, only at security.

“ the options that appeal to me most would be Jordaan, Nine Streets, Bloemenmarkt, Anne Frank House (of course, but no tix yet!) and Van Gogh Museum”
The Jordaan and Nine streets area are close to each other and are great to wander thru. I would skip the Bloemenmarkt, the flowers that are sold there are mostly wooden tulips and other tacky souvenirs. It’s not the market full of flowers that most people envision.
In addition to what you have already mentioned, I would suggest to do a canal cruise. It’s a great way to see the city.

Posted by
1393 posts

@Smac68; with regards to your question about the tickets to the Anne Frank house, please see my reply in the other thread where you asked a similar question.

Posted by
2472 posts

You will be jet lagged? I myself don't function at 100% on arrival so I recommend not trying to bite off too much. That includes a lot of complicated transit - a taxi might be a worthy splurge given your time restraints. And I wouldn't recommend a canal cruise, especially jet lagged (I speak from experience, zzzzz-fest).

Best of luck getting Anne Frank House tickets, even if they do open up some additional ticket options, there is no guarantee they will fall in the the times available to you. Looking at the website right now (5/21 3 p.m. PST) there are tickets available for next Wednesday midday, so you might get lucky on the Tuesday a week ahead. Check regularly and also check tickets for both regular museum visit and the visit with the introduction program (the regular visit is more likely to be available due to capacity for the intro program one).

As noted you'll go through passport control on arrival - that can be VERY slow depending on the day. See replies on this post with links to the Schiphol day planner to see how busy your arrival day is expected to be, location of luggage storage, and the link to reserve a time at security when you return to depart to Scotland. All of those things take time and I would make sure you have plenty ahead of your flight to Scotland, at least 2.5 hours based on my personal experience. Given the late departure time, if you miss the Scotland flight you're likely in store for an overnight at the airport.