Please sign in to post.

Netherlands visit April 2022

I’m usually over on the Austria forum, but we’re in the Netherlands for a short visit. I’ll continue to update each day.

Wednesday - flew direct on Austrian from Vienna. Masks were required at both airports and on the plane. No masks required anywhere in the Netherlands except at the airport. It has been very weird so far to enter trains, shops, hotels and restaurants without a mask as in Austria masks are required in all indoor spaces (for years). I have to admit, I’m enjoying my maskless time, selfishly. My entire family had COVID last month so…

We are staying 4 nights in Gouda, in a beautiful Relais & Chateaux property in the city center. We had a casual dinner last night on the main square and got settled in for sleep.

More to come…

Posted by
2386 posts

Ohh, I will be following this. I just booked my tickets for the Netherlands.

Posted by
5405 posts

Trip report continued...

Thursday - Had an amazing breakfast at our hotel and headed over to the weekly cheese market in the town square. In addition to the horse carts bringing in cheese to weigh, there were many other market stalls selling hot food, vegetables, clothing, etc. Went inside the Town Hall for a great view of everything. Headed over to the cathedral for their rooftop walk. Highly recommend as the views were fantastic. We then headed to Utrecht by train (20 minutes away) for dinner at Blauw, a well-reviewed Indonesian restaurant with another location in Amsterdam. We loved the meal and wandered through Utrecht's double decker canals eating ice cream. Took the train back to Gouda.

Friday - Took the train and then bus to Keukenhof Gardens (easy to get there). Had an 11:30 entry time, but arrived at 10:45 and they let us in. We stayed until 7 pm and I loved every minute. We saw every square inch and also took the boat ride through the tulip fields. The food was good in the garden. If you want to see my photos, let me know and I'll share my Instagram details. Took the train back to Gouda but got burritos at the train station in Leiden which we ate at our hotel.

Saturday - Visited a dear friend in Den Bosch, so got a personalized tour and family visit. Den Bosch is a lovely historic town with an amazing cathedral (try to find the gargoyle with the mobile phone). Took the train to/from Gouda to Den Bosch. Had dinner in Gouda on the main square - good was forgettable.

Sunday - Checked out of Gouda and went to Amsterdam, again by train. Stayed at The Times Hotel in a loft family room with a view directly on Herrengracht. Did the canal self-guided walking tour from Frommer's in the afternoon and had dinner at the Food Halle (amazing tacos). I should note that we have been to Amsterdam many times in the past, so just really wanted to stroll.

Monday - checked out of our hotel and left the baggage at the front desk. Had brunch (chicken and waffles) at Staring at Jacob (amazing). Spent the rest of the day roaming around the Jordaan, taking pictures of wisteria and almshouses. Made a quick stop at Tony Chocolonley (if you know, you know). Took the train to the airport a 6 pm for our 8 pm flight. Airport requires masks as does the aircraft. Arrived in Vienna late and the authorities were only randomly checking COVID documents (we were not checked).

Some observations - The trains are on time and a great way to get around. We never felt that we needed a car. We loved staying in Gouda and will probably use it as a base again. For me it is always all about the hotel and we were incredibly happy with both of our hotel choices. The food in the Netherlands is not my jam, but we enjoyed eating great tacos and chicken and waffles. I did love the Siroopwaffles from Gouda's Kamphuisen factory. Keukenhof is not to be missed in the Spring.

Posted by
2687 posts

I was hoping you’d be back to post more detail from your trip. 😊 I’m planning on a trip to Belgium and the Netherlands for later next year and find your info. very helpful. Gouda wasn’t on my list of possible cities, but it’s on there now.

I would love to see the pictures from your trip. I’ve recently taken an interest in photography and looking at photos others have taken is very helpful.

I’m not a big foodie, so I have a feeling I’ll be eating the tacos and chicken and waffles too. 😊

Posted by
5405 posts

I'm 3point14maker on Instagram. Hope it is okay that I just put this information here...

Posted by
2386 posts

Loving all this info, Emily. I had just taken Gouda off my shortlist (I have too many day trip locations), but I sort of want to nudge it back on the list again.

Posted by
2687 posts

Emily, great pictures!! I was able to view a lot of them before Instagram kicked me off for not having an account.

Roubart, I’m curious to what is on your short list. My list is pretty long right now. But I have a whole year + to narrow it down. And I have no set number of days so I can make the trip longer if I need to. I just need to make sure my 3 trips for next year don’t exceed my paid time off from work. 😊

Posted by
2386 posts

Carrie, I have 141 days to go!

I'll have 16 full days on the ground for both the Netherlands and Belgium. For the Netherlands other than Amsterdam I know we want to go to Delft/Den Haag, I want to go to Hoorn, husband wants to go to Leiden, I'm really wanting Dordrecht, we both want Amersfoort/Utrecht, Den Bosch, Alkmaar was on the list but I think we culled it... This can't possibly be the shortlist, it's still too long.

Posted by
2687 posts

Roubrat, looks like a great list. I’ll have to dig mine out. I’m pretty sure a couple of those places are not on my list. I had originally thought I would spend more time in Belgium, but now I’m thinking more time might be spent in the Netherlands. I have a couple more guidebooks ordered. There is not as much info. available on these 2 countries as some others. So, I’m hoping that means they will both be less crowded. I am purposely not going in the Spring to avoid the “flower crowds.”

Posted by
2386 posts

I thought the same thing, but the more I research the Netherlands, the more I see what a beautiful country it is. I think it'll be about 60% NL and 40% Belgium.

Posted by
2386 posts

Emily, I especially like your photos of the people in Gouda. Beautiful shots.