Please sign in to post.

MuseumKaart

Hi
So we planned on buying a museumkaart as per Rick Steves recommendation in his Amsterdam and Netherlands book (3rd edition), and made reservations for both AnneFrank House and VanGogh museum online using the assumption of a museumkaart. We now learned that the limitation of 5 museums can mean that entrance to one museum can count as two entrances - each exhibit being another count towards the 5, Anyone know how many entrances the Anne Frank, Rijksmuseum, VanGogh, Hermitage and Stedelijk count towards? I had assumed those 5 entrances. But is any of them considered more than one?
Also can I buy the Museumkaart at the Hermitage Amsterdam? If not can I buy elsewhere but not use it for an entrance in that place such as the New Church? If I buy there and dont go in does that count as one of my 5?

Posted by
2487 posts

The Hermitage has two parts: the Hermitage proper and the semi-permanent exhibition Portrait Gallery of the Golden Age, which counts as a separate entry. I remember a visit to the Van Gogh Museum where I had a separate check-in for a special exhibition, but I am pretty sure it doesn't count as a second visit. The other museums you mention are all one entity.
The museum where you buy your card, counts as a first visit. Buy it at the Hermitage, which normally doesn't have much of a queue.

Posted by
26 posts

Because of the new rules limiting the Museumkaart to 5 visits, I opted for the iAmsterdam card, and it was totally worth it. I got the 72 hour pass for 93 Euro, picked it up at the airport. It was a busy 3 days (3 sites per day), but I don't think I really missed anything that I had wanted to see in any of the sites:
Van Gogh Museum 19,
Rijksmuseum 19,
100 Highlights canal cruise 11.50,
Maritime Museum 15.50,
Dutch Resistance Museum 11,
Rembrandt House 14,
Amsterdam Museum 15,
Hermitage all-in ticket 25,
Our Lord in Attic 12.50,
GVB bus/tram day pass: 8.50 per day,
Total cost: 168 Euro otherwise. Because virtually all the museums have the hours of 10-5, that still left 3 nights where we could walk the Damrak and Red Light District, hang around the Leidseplein, and wander the Jordaan/Nine Little Streets before the Anne Frank Huis. And in all the museums, I had pretty much zero wait time to get my card scanned. Only the Hermitage of the sites you have listed has a multiple exhibit entry (it has 3: Treasury, Dutch Golden Age, and Outsider Art are counted separately).