Please sign in to post.

Museum Card

We will be traveling to Amsterdam in August and would like to get the museum card in advance. My parents have a friend in the Netherlands who could buy the cards for us, but I need to walk her through it. I can’t read Flemish so I can’t review the website and am hoping that someone can walk me thru what I need to tell her to do. For example, can she just buy the cards, send them to us and then we upload photos and register or do we need to buy the permanent cards from the outset and provide her with the photos and info ahead of time. If so, what info does she need? Thanks in advance for any help. If there is a website that walks me thru this, please let me know. I couldn’t find it.

Posted by
4392 posts

Doesn't Rick cover this in his guidebook? Along with his musings on whether it's worth it? The take nowadays seems to be no, pay as you go.

Posted by
11 posts

Actually Rick does discuss the museum card in his guide book and suggests it is worth it if you are staying long enough and can have the permanent card sent to you while you are there. We won’t be there long enough to purchase the card, register it and receive it back in time to be useful, but we do have the option to buy it in advance. Looking for advice on the advance purchase option.

Posted by
32744 posts

The main website with all your answers is in English too. https://www.museum.nl/en/museumpass By the wey, one of the languages spoken in Belgium is Flemish, which is related to but not identical to Dutch and the language spoken in the Netherlands is called Dutch by English speakers or "Nederlands" by the Dutch people.

Does your parents' friend not speak Dutch?

Posted by
1304 posts

I’m a bit puzzled as to why you think the website of the museumkaart is in Flemish. As explained in the previous post, the language spoken in the Netherlands is Dutch. (and Fries, but that’s a whole other story).
The website of the Museumkaart explains all the steps you need to take. If your friends can’t read Dutch, you can use Google translate to translate the website.

Posted by
544 posts

I looked into getting a museum card before hand, and it wasn’t worth it for non-Dutch, non-EU people to get it. First, the unactivated museum card is only good for 5 museums before you need to convert it to a permanent resident card. You need an EU address. So does the cost of the 5 museums you want to visit add up to more than the museum card? The Anne Frank house is not part of the museum card.
Also, even with musuem Card, you still need reservations to see the Rijksmusuem and the Van Gogh musuem. The musuem card isn’t going to get you automatic entry just by flashing it. You still need to book tickets and a time slot online.

Posted by
1304 posts

“ The Anne Frank house is not part of the museum card.”
I’m sorry but this isn’t correct. The Anne Frank house is definitely part of the museum card. You do however need to book a time slot in advance and for that you need to pay a booking fee of €1.
Source; https://www.annefrank.org/en/museum/tickets/ and then click on “other entrance fees”

Posted by
104 posts

I can tell you that we do plan on getting the 5 visit museum card when we visit in June. We added up the cost of the 5 most expensive museums we will be visiting throughout the Netherlands, and are saving some money - not a lot but hey, if it pays for a lunch, then it was worth it. Also makes the museum entrances a bit simpler after the first one.

Posted by
11 posts

Just wanted to follow up on this posting to let folks know that we were able to obtain museum cards thru our contact in the Netherlands and to apologize for my misstatement about the website being in Flemish (my head was in Belgium when I posted). Our contact initially thought she couldn’t purchase the passes for us, but after doing research on her end, she said she could make it happen. We had to send a digital picture, full name, address, and DOB. We had a little challenge with a couple of the digital pictures, but once we got that taken care of, she was able to submit the request on June 26. She received the cards on June 29 and mailed them to us via priority mail on July 2. We received them today (July 12). We got 6 cards and with admin fees and postage, it will cost us about 400 euros, which amounts to about 67 euro a person. We head overseas on August 2 and will start using our cards when we get to the Netherlands on August 14. We have already made reservations at most of the major sites and will post a trip report when we get home letting you know how many places we used the cards at during our week there.

Posted by
350 posts

Kristin I was just about to ask the same question. Can you let us know if you had any diffficulity using the card. I hope to be in Amsterdam for about two weeks in the spring so this would be perfect. I have someone I can try to ask to order the card for me. (fingers crossed).