Please sign in to post.

London to Amsterdam

Trying to connect London to Amsterdam and return. I'm a little confused about the rail service. Does the train from London go direct to Amsterdam or do we have to make a connection in Belgium?

Posted by
20085 posts

There is one direct train in the evening from St Pancras to Amsterdam Centraal. I don't see a direct return.

Look at flying from London City airport.

Posted by
23267 posts

Exactly what are you trying to do? Amsterdam is a little far for a day trip? Most trains will connect in Brussels.

Posted by
5326 posts

There are no direct returns at the moment as passport control is in Brussels. Outward it is at St. Pancras. As well as a direct evening train to Amsterdam there is one early-ish in the morning.

Posted by
7297 posts

Although they are in different countries, the cities of Amsterdam and Bruges are both poorly connected to London, despite the massive demand for such services. Bargain airlines, with the punitive fees and luggage restrictions, as well as cattle-car conditions, are one solution. Another is to visit them as part of Continental trips, instead of UK trips.

For personal reasons, I've taken the more direct Eurostar round trip between Antwerp and London, twice. It's tedious enough, but when a train hits a cow or a car on the French section of the track, it can be a very long trip indeed. Don't forget to allow time for immigration formalities before boarding the train, which may get longer after Brexit.

Posted by
204 posts

Thanks for all of the replies. The trip may be more trouble than its worth. Jim