Please sign in to post.

Kinderdijk from Delft for half a day

We are on the RS Holland & Belgium tour this spring. We have an afternoon free while in Delft. We will not be seeing Kinderdijk on the tour, and am wondering if it's feasible to try to get there for an afternoon from Delft. It's a short 35 min car ride, (which we won't have) but looks like a 1 1/2 hour train ride with a transfer. Any suggestions, or thoughts? Thanks

Posted by
11159 posts

It definitely is worth it to visit Kinderdijk if you have free time from your tour. Beautiful, historic spot. You’ll see 19 historic windmills in their original locations.

Posted by
237 posts

Thank you Wil for the very helpful information! And Suki for the encouragement to not miss it!

Posted by
4710 posts

Suki has been a great help with Kinderdijk. Note that the summer schedule for the waterbus isn't out yet, which someone here was kind enough to point out. April is considered summer. Since the water buses run about 1 hour 20 minutes apart , it helps to have the current schedule in hand.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
207 posts

It's about a 40-minute drive or a 90-minute multi-leg trip by public transport.

Is this an extra amount of time in addition to time already spent in Delft?

if yes, that would seem at least possible, the former being preferable to the latter.

If no, then there is a long list of terrific things to do in Delft itself in which case maybe better to stay there.

I love Kinderdijk. Honestly, may be the best photography place (consistently) I know of anywhere. No matter what kind of day you have, the photo opportunities are magnificent.

Posted by
237 posts

willhaysnoe, Yes, we will be spending two nights in Delft, and we have a free afternoon, so I want to try to make it there if possible. It's a Sunday afternoon, so don't know how that will make a difference. The new summer waterbus schedule just came out. We'll have to play it by ear on whether it will work. All of the input here is most helpful.

I too plan a visit to Kinderdijk, though from Rotterdam. From a photo enthusiast's perspective, are there any specific spots within the large site not to miss? It looks like a very large area - is it all walkable to get some nice shots or are you limited to set look-out areas? Sorry for the very basic questions. :)

Thanks!

Posted by
548 posts

you are not limited to a specific area. You can walk or ride a bicycle on the trails for quite a while. You can walk up to one of the windmills and pay to enter and see inside.

Posted by
11159 posts

You will walk or rent a bike and follow a trail alongside a canal.