Please sign in to post.

Keukenhof and Flower Parade April 2025

Hi everyone,
I have learned so much from this forum as I plan our Netherlands trip for April 2025. I would appreciate some advice re: the Flower Parade. Since our Keukenhof day fell on the same day as the parade, we thought we would make a day of it and get tickets for the bus from Amsterdam, covered grandstand and lunch for $82. Just read quite a few negative reviews that highlight disorganization, lack of communication, and overall dissatisfaction, stating that it wasn't worth the money. Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts? If the parade is not what we initially thought, we can switch our days to get to Keukenhof on another day. Thank you all!

Posted by
5383 posts

I haven't experienced the parade during the day. I did wait to see it end in Haarlem this year, and the parade arrived about an hour late, around 11:00pm. And it was very cold! Seeing the parade in the dark is not the best. On the following Sunday, all the floats are on display in Haarlem. Sadly, we had to leave early to catch our return flight. But visiting Haarlem that Sunday would be a great way to see the floats.
Hope it works out ! Safe travels!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you, Pat. This sounds like a much better plan. I appreciate your reply.

Posted by
5383 posts

And Keikenhof is a beautiful experience. Seven million flower bulbs!

Posted by
7 posts

It looks spectacular! This is our bucket list trip to soak up tulips, windmills, culture and history! Our first international trip - so many details and moving parts, and this forum has been a tremendous resource. So exciting!

Posted by
730 posts

We were just at Keukenhof in April and loved it. And got lucky with a perfect sunny day.

And we loved all the charm of Haarlem. I'd definitely just see the floats the day after the parade in Haarlem, and be on your own to explore. It's delightful, so walkable and a quick, easy train ride from Amsterdam.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you all for your advice here! This forum is the voice of reason, which is exactly what I need. The more I looked at the parade and read reviews, the more it seemed like it would be a challenge. We had Haarlem on our itinerary, but not for Sunday. I'm grateful for this information, as we can rearrange some days with no problem. Thank you!

Posted by
7 posts

Barney, thank you so much for that link. I checked to make sure that the windmill is open on Sundays, and we're good! The canal cruise also sounds wonderful. Thank you for this suggestion!

Posted by
70 posts

@Heman04, glad to have been of assistance.

The flower parade typically overlaps with the annual fun fair (kermis in Dutch) on the Grote Markt (a tradition that goes back at least to the 1850s). Quite a few people expressed their surprise when they visited the Grote Markt and saw a big Ferris wheel next to the Gothic Grote Kerk. I tried to check the fun fair dates to confirm as the flower parade is earlier in 2025 than the last few years but could not find them yet.

Just want to prevent a surprise when you expect an open square with medieval and 17th century buildings.

The Frans Halsmuseum and Teylers Museum will be open as well (and they are away from the crowds if you look for some peace and quiet).

Posted by
5383 posts

Barney, yes the Fun Fair did cause cognitive dissonance, viewing the ferris wheel against the cathedral tower! But the Fair didn't seem to cause too much commotion, altho the rainy weather may have dampened attendance.
I was told the Fun Fair extends until Kings Day.

Posted by
5383 posts

The canal cruise we took was wonderful- small boat and really engaging and knowledgeable skipper. I've named the cruise in my Trip Report. Enjoy!

Posted by
70 posts

I highly recommend to check https://www.visithaarlem.com/en/ for the events calendar.

Two weeks ago, we had the annual food festival with food stalls on the Grote Markt and, this weekend, a music festival in the city center with multiple stages centered around the Grote Kerk.

Just to set right expectations and prevent surprises. It is fun though but less photo opportunities.

Posted by
7 posts

It does sound as if Haarlem has a lot of fun activities going on! I am looking forward to planning our day there now that I have so much new information. Thank you all so very much.

Barney, thank you for the link to the events calendar - that is very helpful.
Pat, thank you for your suggestion to check your trip report for the canal cruise.

I appreciate your help!

Posted by
5383 posts

Herman, you will so enjoy this trip. The Dutch people are very friendly and outgoing, I found, and the country is somewhat like Switzerland in safety, cleanliness, and efficiency- with an emphasis on practicality. Sorry I couldn't just remember the Haarlem cruise company immediately, but it's a small company with great service.
Enjoy!

Posted by
7 posts

No problem, Pat! I had bookmarked your trip report a while back, found Haarlem Canal Tours, and saved it for my research. Your trip report is extensive! I'll be referring back to it often. Thank you!

Posted by
5383 posts

Herman04, hope my info helps a bit. Enjoy these wonderful places. I hope to return! Safe travels!

Posted by
19 posts

I did both this year. My visit to Keukenhof was a great experience to see all the flowers and almost went back for a second day. I missed out on the boat tour but did do a tour of a tulip farm. Having been to 2 Rose Bowl parades, I was not impressed with the flower parade. I was in a covered grandstand which helped during the rain.