Please sign in to post.

Itinerary feedback requested

I would love to get some feedback on our travel plans. We are active mid-60s and have traveled a lot. We like pretty full days. This trip is in July.

Tues - arrive early afternoon from US. Drop luggage at hotel (Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stoppera). Walk around Damrak, Dam Square, Bloemenmarkt, and Oude Kerk.

Weds - Day trip to Edam and Volendam. We would take a bus to Edam, see the cheese market, then bus to Volendam. Tell me if the cheese market is "cheesy" and not worth it.

Thurs - Canal Tour (likely Captain Jack or Dam Boat Guys...probably the former because we prefer no smoking), the Anne Frank House (will get tickets when they open up that week), then walking Jordaan and Nine Streets, possibly also the Portuguese Synagogue and Red Light District.

Fri - Day trip to Rotterdam and the Kinderdijk windmills. Windmills are a "must" for us, and that seems more off the beaten path than Zans Shanse. We would train to Rotterdam and back, and either bus, waters, or train to Kinderdijk from Rotterdam. We thought the modern architecture of Rotterdam could be interesting.

Sat - Albert Cuyp market, things we missed above, day trip to Haarlem if there is time.

Sun - Today we leave Amsterdam. Get a car and drive to Hoege Velouwe National Park and the Kruller-Muller museum, continue to Bourtange and stay there in the fort.

Mon. Travel to Geithorn and spend the night there.

Tues - this is where we are very up in the air. We can return the car and train the rest of the trip, or keep the car until we leave the Netherlands to return home which gives greater flexibility and probably costs the same. Regardless, we head to Bruges on Tuesday. We are staying in Bruges to capitalize on the quiet in the evening and mornings. I understand there is inexpensive secure parking at the Bruges train station.

Weds - Bruges, including a chocolate making class. Bike to Daame if time.

Thurs - train to Ghent and spend the day there.

Fri - drive (if we keep the car, train if we don't) to Brussels and spend the day there. Get to Schipol in the evening and spend the final night there before departing on Saturday.

Posted by
330 posts

A few things popped out to me.

The Kröller-Müller in Otterlo is on your itinerary, but The Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum are not. If you are interested in fine art I would add one or both of those. You could definitely add to your Saturday in Amsterdam as the Albert Cuyp Market is interesting, but is maybe an hour of strolling and looking. The museumplein is close to de Pijp and the market. I would also take a look at adding the excellent Dutch Resistance Museum if you’re interested in WWII history.

Renting a car appears to be the only way to make that far-reaching loop from Amsterdam to Otterlo to Bourtange. However, I think you may be shortchanging the K-M museum and the Park de Hoge Veluwe trying to get to Bourtange by the end of the day. My husband and I recently spent 3 nights in Otterlo with an entire day spent in the park - several hours at the K-M museum (the sculpture garden is extensive), lunch and a bike ride through the park to the underground museum and back to the main entrance.