Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Amsterdam

HI All:

I am going to be in Amsterdam in September for 7 nights. I will be travelling with my 28 year old daughter. We are looking for anice hotel that has twin beds ( many do not seem to offer this option) that is central to everything ( without being too noisy) up to a maximum of about 300 Canadian per night. There are lots of options but the nicer ones seem to be very very expensive. Any suggestions. We are presently booked at one in Jordaan but am still open to suggestions. we will be doing several day trips so want to be close to train station in Amsterdam as well. Thanks. Janet

Posted by
9100 posts

Try the Avenue Hotel.
Beware that Sept. 13-18, Amsterdam hosts the annual International Broadcasters Convention. Its one of the largest conventions in the world, so hotel prices will be sky-high along with limited availability:(

Posted by
117 posts

Room Mate Aitana is near the train station and an easy walk to Dam Square too. It's a modern hotel...very nice and not too expensive. I stayed there last summer and loved it.

Posted by
3207 posts

We stayed at Hotel Fita in the Museumplein. It fits your budget for when we stayed in March, so you'll need to see if you can do anything in September. It has a wonderful breakfast. Great location. Nice hoteliers. Nice rooms.

Posted by
11294 posts

If you're booked at a hotel in the Jordaan, and it has the bed configuration you need at a price you can live with, stay put! That's a lovely area, and you can reach the train station with an easy tram ride.

In Amsterdam, demand for hotels exceeds supply, so prices are high for what you get. I always warn people to be prepared to pay more than they had expected, or settle for less than they wanted, when looking at hotels there. So, it isn't your imagination that "the nicer ones seem to be very very expensive."

Posted by
11156 posts

Look at Hotel L’Ambassade in the beautiful Central Canal Ring, on the Herengracht. Canal.

Posted by
8141 posts

When looking for hotels and accommodations, I often go into Google Maps. I go to a neighborhood I like. If you hit the "+" a few times, tiny hotel icons will pop up. Click on them and you can get into their individual websites and reservations.
You should find something within your budget. We used to stay in a B&B in the suburbs, however many of them sold out as condominiums. Needless to say, property values in Amsterdam are out of sight.
We now stay out at the airport at Hotel Schiphol. They take us over to the airport, and we ride the train downtown in just a few minutes. It is one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed in at a great price.

Posted by
8374 posts

Hotel Vondel in the museum district. Very convenient to the airport (the express bus stops one block away) and near tram to central area (10 minute ride). Within walking distance to major museums and a grocery store. We stayed in a twin bed room.

Posted by
307 posts

If you are staying for a week, consider air bnb or a vrbo rental.

This option may give you more choices of accommodations; everything from a room to an entire home or a houseboat.
Have fun!

Posted by
1806 posts

For twin beds, try Hotel D'Amsterdam - it's less than 5 minutes to walk over to Leidseplein (including the bus that runs to/from the airport) and 10-15 minutes to walk to the Rijksmuseum - and it's more of a residential neighborhood. I also like Conscious Hotels - they have several locations (Museumplein and Vondelpark) and they recently opened up a new hotel called The Tire Station which is over by Vondelpark and it has twin beds.

Amsterdam is pretty compact and has a great system of trams - many of which will take you to Centraal, so you don't only need to look at the Jordaan for lodging.

Posted by
2299 posts

hi janet
since amsterdam is euros, how much is that in canadian? amsterdam is expensive, been there twice. like OP stated if your place in joordan is good for you stay. it's a nice area and close to transportation. lots of things to do and places to see, do a canal ride, lots of walking, lots of bikes everywhere so be careful. i'm sure you can either call or email hotel if it's possible to have twin beds, what are your dates?
enjoy
aloha