Please sign in to post.

hotel near train station

We are 2 older couples who have rooms booked in May 2022 at Artotel near the Amsterdam train station. From what I am reading here, it sounds like that area can be crowded, loud, and raucous. We could move our reservation instead to area near Van Gogh Museum, but that seemed further from the heart of things. We will be in Amsterdam 4 days and want to do lots of site seeing. Would you suggest we change our hotel location to be more quiet?

Posted by
4044 posts

While I haven't stayed at Art'Otel, I recognize its location on Google map. Several active roadways and streetcar lines help divide the massive Centraal station from neighbouring businesses. It will always be busy, if less so late at night. Biggest threat is being run down by bicycles. Advantage: Convenient for getting around. Disadvantage: If you move away from the transport hub you can find the notorious Red Light district. So don't walk that way after midnight, or keep to populated streets. Most of Amsterdam is cramped, thanks to having been built on swampy land over the centuries. But raucous? Mostly on the weekend in 'funmakers' blocks. The museum sector is indeed less convenient except, obviously, for going to the big museums.

Posted by
32747 posts

kathy,

since you haven't had any other answers...

I haven't stayed in Amsterdam because we have always stayed out of Amsterdam, usually in Haarlem, but also Utrecht, Rotterdam, Delft and others.

I have however walked or taken a tram past that hotel - although I never knew its name - many times. It isn't a location I would have chosen for myself - but then you know that we always stay out of Amsterdam.

I had a look on the webpage and it looks much much nicer than the places I stay, and if they do things to minimize the noise in the rooms I would certainly look at it.

The area near the station is away from the red light district, although fairly close and easily avoided, and it isn't in the madhouse of the Damrak or the Dam, but again close if you want the transportation. You also have the trams and buses convenient on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal which is the other main tram feeder to Amsterdam Centraal station.

So your location is convenient to so much, and so easy to get everywhere else.

If you move down to the Museumplein area there will still be plenty of nightlife - there is all over Amsterdam.

I'll be interested to see the reactions of others...

Posted by
32747 posts

By the way, in your post you say that you were judging "from what I am reading here" but I've never seen the hotel mentioned here...

Posted by
2207 posts

I've not stayed at the Radisson art’otel amsterdam but I have stayed around the corner at the Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam a few times (and once when it used to be a Crowne Plaza). When we go to Amsterdam, we primarily take the train, so I've been "in the area" often. The art’otel amsterdam faces the Amsterdam Centraal train station and this is probably one of the most "foot-trafficked" ​spots in the city! Coupled with the ever-ongoing construction in front of the train station (will it EVER end????), it can be crowded, busy, and noisy. As Nigel suggests, if the hotel has the facilities in place to offset this, it's really not an issue. (It never was for me at the Kimpton/Crowne Plaza). It is perhaps the best "transportation location" in the city, convenient to trains, trams, buses, river cruises, and canal tours!

If you've never been to Amsterdam before, I'd suggest staying in the canal zone and this hotel is in the top left portion of the U-shaped canal zone. If you've been before, and you're concerned about noise or traffic, then the Museumplein might work best for you. I know many travelers who stay at the Conservatorium Hotel for these reasons. (That, and it's an incredible hotel!). Fortunately, there are a few tram lines in the Museumplein area also, so you'll have no problems getting around if you stay there (Just hope there are no major protests while you're there as the Museumplein is the "meeting spot" as of late). And if you've not been here before, you will find yourself walking everywhere - a lot to see!!!

As far as the Red Light district, it's far different than it was a few years ago. No doubt COVID has had an impact on this area also. We often go to De Koffieschenkerij for coffee, a small cafe located on the compound of De Oude Kerk, a 13th-century church - the oldest building in Amsterdam... and located in the middle of the Red Light District. Well worth the walk-by or visit!

Posted by
56 posts

Thanks, everyone. Your comments make it sound just fine. We were aware that it would be a great spot for transportation. Nigel, it was comments on another Netherlands forum thread where I got the impression that the area might be raucous. It's hard to tell be looking at a map whether being this close to the Red Light District feels close or not, but you have all reassured me. Thanks.

Posted by
63 posts

I haven't been to Amsterdam but it is in the plans for our second trip to Europe (not sure with Covid). Like you, my wife and I fit your "older couple" reference (I'll be 65 and wife 62 when we hope to go) and we could do without raucousness. I have looked at loads of hotels in various neighborhoods too. Looked at hotels by the museums but they looked like too far from the activities and sites and restaurants that we would prefer to be able to walk to. I have focused on hotels on the canals just eat of Joordan. One that looked really nice was Hotel the Craftsman on the Singel canal whose front door was at a canal crossing. When I entered prospective summer dates for it and other hotels, I saw they had very nice rooms and prices comparable or cheaper than other hotels nearby. Give their website a look. I actuallt started to follow them on *Instagram to keep up to date. Now if only Covid can cooperate in the next couple of years we can do Bucket List trip 2: Amsterdam, Rhine River, Salzburg and Vienna.

Posted by
20086 posts

I've staid not far from the there, also facing Centraal Station at the NH Barrbizon. Nothing wrong with the area and if you walk over to the station, you'll see the Amsterdam Visitors Center in front of the station where you can buy transport passes. Downstairs is a great restaurant, Loetje, with steak and fries and not costing an arm and a leg.

Posted by
229 posts

On our last visit to Amsterdam pre-Covid with another older couple we all stayed 3 nights at Doubletree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. It was a great location convenient to transportation and not rowdy. This hotel has a rooftop lounge with great views of the city.