Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Amsterdam

Rats!

Two of the hotels Rick recommends in Amsterdam are filled: Hocksbergen and Hegra.

Arriving late September by air. Staying 2 nights at the start of the week. Rick says downtown is too noisy. Looking for nice accommodation in a quiet neighborhood for around 100 Euros a night including all taxes. Any suggestions/recommendations would be VERY much appreciated. Getting into town from the airport is bus or train the better value? As always, many thanks in advance for the help.

Richard and Mary Shaw

Posted by
11507 posts

We stayed in the Hotel Brouwer .. it meets your budget .. ( or is close to it) and its central.. and we personally did not find it noisey..
Beautiful canal views.. and we walked everywhere..

There are bigger fancier hotels if you choose to stay outside central areas.. but since like you .. we only had a short visit, we chose to stay central and walk out the door and "be there" instantly.

It is a very old building .. so kind of quirky. .there is an elevator but the room we stayed in was assesible only by narrow stairs, so if poor mobility is an issue that may be a sticking point for you.

www.hotelbrouwer.nl/

We were recommended this hotel by a poster on this forum and glad we stayed there.. it had a lot of character.. lol ( if you like modern/stainless steel /glass etc, this is not place or you )

Staff were very nice.

Breakfast was simple.
A huge flaky warm crossiant each day.. with toast, jam. butter, also some lovely cheese slices ( think it was Edam) and a soft boiled egg. Bodum coffee.. orange juice and tea.

Posted by
11507 posts

sorry.. just reread your post.. this hotel is over your budget.

We found it hard to find a central hotel with private bathroom etc in that price range in central Amsterdam for your budget( which normally is our budget too for other cities.. just not Amsterdam.. its pricey)

You should look out a bit but on a tram line so easy commute.

Posted by
8374 posts

We just stayed at the Hotel Vondel in the museum district and were quite pleased. It is located on a quiet side street, but is within 1 block of several tram lines that will whisk you to central Amsterdam within 10 minutes. A grocery store was close by as well as many restaurants. Easy walk to major museums. We were quite happy we chose the museum district and this hotel. Near the train station is ridiculously hectic and crowded.

Bus 197 (airport express) is the way to go back and forth to the airport if you are staying in the museum district. Simply catch it at b9-b11 in the bus plaza in front of the airport. Runs every 10 minutes, is a 30 minute ride, and costs 5 euros each way. The stop is an easy 1 block walk to the Hotel Vondel.

If you are staying near central station, take the train into town. It is worthwhile to go to you tube and watch a one or two minute video on using ticket machines in the Netherlands before you go. They take either coins or a chip/pin credit card. I used chip/pin card with no difficulties.

You might want to consider using Priceline "name you own price" strategy and put a bid in for a 4 star hotel in the museum district.

Posted by
513 posts

I have stayed several times at the Hotel Piet Hein. It is located across a small, almost traffic free street from Vondel Park. The rooms are nicely decorated, modern, and have very adequate AC. Their breakfast buffet is great, and they have a very nice in-house bar.

Posted by
11294 posts

While your wish list (nice accommodation, quiet neighborhood, €100 per night) is attainable in many European cities, Amsterdam may not be one of them. You may have to compromise on something.

Here's a list from EuroCheapo; you'll see that even with that name, the places they list are not all "cheap." http://www.eurocheapo.com/amsterdam/

Here's an excellent article from the same website about what to know before booking hotels in Amsterdam. http://www.eurocheapo.com/blog/amsterdam-hotel-advice.html

I wouldn't say that "downtown" is too noisy, only certain sections. The article in the previous paragraph has details of areas to avoid for noise reasons.

As for how to get to your hotel, the "best way" depends on where you hotel is. If it's not near the station but is along the bus route, the bus is easier as it's a "one seat ride."

Posted by
6046 posts

We have stayed at Hotel Fita twice- highly recommend this lovely hotel- near museums, close to tram, close to Bus 197 stop (airport bus)
http://www.fita.nl

I think you'll have a hard time finding anything in your price range.

Check Booking.com-

Posted by
1806 posts

Rick's recommended hotels are always going to fill up well in advance given how many people buy his guides. His picks aren't the only options in town and if you do your research and carefully check reviews to see what the common views are on location, noise levels, cleanliness, etc., you should be able to find something (albeit basic and on the small side) in your price range. Central Amsterdam is pretty compact and easily walkable. If you stay further out thinking it's the best way to save money, don't forget to factor in the additional costs for having to take public transit regularly. Sometimes the extra cost and time spent in transit makes any "savings" a wash in the end and the time lost in transit could have been avoided by increasing your budget a bit more so you can be more central and walk more.

The Ibis Styles hotel that is a couple of blocks from the Albert Cuyp Market, Heineken Experience and about 1km to the Rijksmuseum has rates starting around 89 Euro/night. Cocomama, located in the De Pijp area, is a boutique hostel with private doubles that are in the 100 Euro/night range. CitizenM hotel near Beatrix Park may also be an option.

I would also recommend doing a search via Booking.com or Airbnb in your price range to see who has availability. Sometimes if you are willing to lock in on a non-refundable price, you can get closer to what you are willing to pay. You just need to be 100% confident of your travel plans if you go that route.

The only area I would actively avoid in the interest of getting a quiet night's sleep would be anything near Centraal, the Red Light District or in the immediate vicinity of Leidseplein where all the bars and restaurants are concentrated. I stayed at Hotel D'Amsterdam which I found a great rate on through Booking.com and even though it was just a 3 minute walk to Leidseplein, it was on a very quiet, mostly residential street but the hotel was very convenient to the museums, Vondelpark and the bus to/from the airport.

From a cost perspective only, the city bus is cheaper. However, "better value" between bus or train to/from airport really depends more on convenience and where you end up staying. I've stayed over near the Nine Streets area and found it easier to take the train to Centraal from that location, but when I stayed at Hotel D'Amsterdam, it was easier to take the bus with my luggage. The train ride is shorter (city bus takes about 50 mins from Leidseplein), but if you have to transfer to a tram to get to or from the train station, then factor in that additional time and hassle of lugging your bags around to see if it is worth it. There are also coach buses that run to the airport, but the price is nowhere near as cheap as the city bus.

Posted by
711 posts

I second the hotel a Fita...very convenient , wonderful breakfast.