Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Amsterdam

Has anyone stayed at the Facade Hotel in Amsterdam? We are visiting the Netherlands for the first time and recently made reservations there. Getting a little nervous as I see the reviews are mixed and wanted to see if anyone here had stayed at the hotel and how your experience was. Thanks so much.

Posted by
1216 posts

I don’t know this hotel, but I just read the reviews. They actually don’t seem to be that bad. Lots of positive reviews and a few bad ones. What is it you’re concerned about?
If you want help in finding another hotel; When will you be visiting and what is your budget per night? (in €’s)

Posted by
5362 posts

That is not the area I would stay. That said, I have never stayed in that hotel. I prefer to stay in the Jordaan or along Prinsengracht/Herrengracht/Keizersgracht.

Posted by
1224 posts

Its not the area I would stay either. Unless you want to be near the Red Light district and the partiers (not being sarcastic - maybe you do?) The central area where that hotel is, is closest to the most boisterous goings on. I prefer to stay in the outer canal rings: the Jordaan is nice albeit fancier (boutique shopping area), but anywhere in the outer canals. I actually go even further out and like to stay in the De Pijp area because I prefer to have an experience of a neighborhood and to enter and exit the throngs of tourists (plus I love breakfast at Bakers and Roasters). But that is too far for some.

Posted by
11053 posts

We prefer the charming canal ring area too. and stay at Hotel l’Ambassade on the Herengracht Canal. Wonderful location.

Posted by
520 posts

I agree with the others. Stay in the Jordaan or the museum quarter or the de pijp area

Posted by
461 posts

We liked the Dikker & Thijs Fenice hotel on the Prinsengracht Canal in the Leidseplein area. Ask for a room with a small balcony with a canal view. This was near a tram stop and also very walkable to the Anne Frank House, the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Singel Flower market, and the Lovers Canal Cruise.

Posted by
63 posts

I too am in the planning stages for a trip to Amsterdam in the summer of 2024 and have been interested in the Hotel the Craftsman on the Singel closer to the train station from the hotels mentioned in this post. From the photos of the hotel and the neighborhood, this looks like a very nice place and it has good reviews but I do have some of the same concerns as posted regarding rowdy nightlife that may or not be nearby (BTW not interested in participating in this at all). I have also looked at hotels mentioned in this post (and others from past posts and as described in Rick's Amsterdam guidebook) around the park and the museums and elsewhere but was concerned that the walk from these might be a bit too far from some of the other city's sights and eateries since my wife and I (ages 60 and 65 respectively in 2024) really prefer walking a city as opposed to taking mass transit (but we are not adverse to mass transit for longer distances).

Based on my limited personal travel experience and my respect for the Travel Forum posters, we would appreciate any additional insight you might provide regarding hotels, neighborhoods, etc. that might help with our decision. My thanks in advance!

Posted by
1216 posts

If you look at a map of Amsterdam you will see a horseshoe or U shaped area with lots of waterways. That’s the Canal Zone. Just south of the bottom of the U is the museum square where the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh museum and Stedelijk museum are located. At the top of the U is the central train station. Basically everywhere in the Canal Zone and near the museums is a good place to stay. Cafes, restaurants and shops can be found all over that area. If your main goal is to visit the museums, you might want to stay closer towards the south of the Canal Zone. If you plan to take a lot of day trips by train, you might want to stay closer to the central train station. But then again, the city center of Amsterdam is compact and walkable. It’s only a 30 minute, 2.5 km walk from the central train station at the top of the U/horseshoe to the Rijksmuseum at the bottom of the U/horseshoe.
The Craftsman isn’t in party central, but with COVID on the retreat tourism in Amsterdam is back in full swing and there hardly is a quiet place within the city anywhere.

Posted by
63 posts

Excellent info Dutch_traveler. I had an idea that what you described was the case. Having verification is always a plus. Thanks.