Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Amsterdam

Dear All,

I come in on Friday around 2:30pm, (9/14/2018) and then leave Saturday around noon (9/15/2018). I was looking in Central and West Amsterdam and not finding any availability at a reasonable cost. I wanted to be able to check out the red light district, get a nice meal, shop, walk along the canals. I've checked ALL of Rick's suggestions and they are all booked up.As a last thought I was thinking of staying by the airport. Any suggestions on where to stay, what to eat, where to shop. (looking for peanut butter.) I don't have much time for tourist things and coming back next year. Any short tourist things?

Posted by
8375 posts

I stayed at Hotel Vondel in the museum district and really enjoyed it. It is 1 block from the express bus that comes from the airport. Trams are just two blocks away. Grocery Store for peanut butter just 2 blocks away. Area with lots of restaurants just across the tram line.
I made my reservation using priceline.com /name your price. I'm pretty sure if you bid for a 4 star hotel in the museum district you will get either this hotel or another nearby that is also very good. It looks like your date is set and that you could easily bid on priceline and not worry a lot of changing plans. I think I paid just over $100 a night two years ago.

Posted by
9100 posts

From 9/13-18 Amsterdam is hosting the annual International Broadcasters convention. It's one of the largest conventions in the world as as you discovered hotel rooms are very scarce and pricey:(

Posted by
2299 posts

hey terry
amsterdam is an expensive city and very busy. don't know what "reasonable" means to you, check out bedandbreakfast.amsterdam. there are some available for your night if it meets your standard. some places asks you to send request to stay, which may be worthwile. another site for your next year trip is citymundo.com, houseboathotel.nl, houseboatrental.nl book early so you can get a good deal and a place. are you on an international flight? check in to hotel, and get to RLD, walk canals or a canal cruise, eat near dam square, lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, people watch, you can take a cab back to hotel that night. enjoy
aloha

Posted by
38 posts

It seems as though every hotel near city centre, museums, etc is booked that is a 3 star-5 star. I did try priceline but I'm not in Amsterdam too long so I didn't want to go over $200 much but even their airport hotels are expensive.. I was spoiled a friend giving me a really reasonable hotel named Hotel Die Port van Cleve but it was booked. I opted for an airbnb which is not in an ideal location but inexpensive. I have 48 hours to cancel but I don't think anything will magically pop up. As soon as I finish planning this trip I'll be looking for a room for my Amsterdam trip in April!

From 9/13-18 Amsterdam is hosting the annual International Broadcasters convention. It's one of the largest conventions in the world as as you discovered hotel rooms are very scarce and pricey:( Yes this is what killed me, some want a 3 day rental.)

amsterdam is an expensive city and very busy. don't know what "reasonable" means to you. You are certainly correct about it being expensive!. bedandbreakfast.amsterdam took me to one place that closed down.

Thanks for this! walk canals or a canal cruise, eat near dam square, lots of shops, cafes, restaurants, people watch, you can take a cab back to hotel that night.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey terry
couple places you can check are:
booking.com liberte
houseboathotel:nl
BK142 = $246
B024 = $272
AK88 = $272
robsbnb.amsterdam send a request
we rented a houseboat last year and had a great time, most of places have either a 2 to 3 day minimum stay, out of your league. if you plan to visit next year, they is a maximum of 4 people per hotel/apartment. try priceline.com also like other OP. hope you find something. it's a beautiful city and lots of fun.
aloha

Posted by
2186 posts

They're booked for you dates in September, but you might check out Conscious Hotel Museum Square for your April trip. The tram to Central Station runs - quietly - right in front and your about 3 minutes to Museum Square.