Please sign in to post.

Holland 2015

My husband and I are planning a trip to Netherlands in Sept 2015. We have been to Italy twice and our favorite towns are Varenna, Venice, Cinque Terre and Assisi to give you an idea of what we enjoy. We aren't big on art, museums and such. We do like architecture, good food, wine, coffee and people watching. We will have 9 full days on the ground. We want to see and explore Amsterdam but don't know where to go from there....can you give us some ideas???

Thanks

Terri

Posted by
12040 posts

Steve writes:

"And heading down to Brussels for even a day trip out of Amsterdam (fast trains make it a great side trip)."

Not really, unless you consider nearly 4 hours on a train round-trip to be an enjoyable daytrip.

One of my favorite sites in the country is the windmill cluster at Kinderdijk. It doesn't take long to see, but it's almost like a small summation of the Netherlands in one quik sweep. You see, of course, the windmills and canals, but you also see the polder land side-by-side with the higher water level that the windmills were originally built to help keep drained. And of course, cows grazing.