Please sign in to post.

Help with itinerary.

Hello, my wife and I are planning a trip to London on Sept 7th. We are flying out of Sacramento California. We also plan on taking the train from London to Amsterdam also visiting Brussels, Bruges on the way to Amsterdam. We will Not be using a car. As to not backtrack I was thinking we would fly into London and fly home from Amsterdam on Sept. 27th.
Are there any other towns we should visit on the way to Amsterdam besides Brussels and Bruges?
Any help, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Posted by
2487 posts

Consider having Gent (Ghent) as a base in Belgium. Historical, lively city, with very frequent train connections to Brussel, Brugge and Antwerpen. Personally I'm very charmed by those small provincial towns, such as Mechelen (Malines).
Consider having Haarlem as a base in the Netherlands. Historical city, beautifully situated on the river Spaarne, and much relaxter than Amsterdam, from which it's only some 15 mins by train. It's also just 30 mins from Schiphol airport, either by train or by direct bus.
Den Haag (the Hague), Delft and Dordrecht (for its own sake, and for a bus or ferry connection to the windmill complex at Kinderdijk) are obvious destinations for day trips.

Posted by
51 posts

Thank you so much for your reply.
Do you think flying into London then out of Amsterdam makes sense?
Again, thanks for your help.
Tom

Posted by
51 posts

Time wise yes, however more expensive. It's about $700 more to fly out of Amsterdam vs. London.
Tom

Posted by
2487 posts

This is not a route I'm familiar with, but using Skyscanner I see Icelandair flights at your return date from Amsterdam for EUR 650, cheaper than from London. Condor even does it for EUR 470.

Posted by
51 posts

Thank you again, I'll check it out.
You are a wealth of information and appreciate all of your help.
Tom