Please sign in to post.

Haarlem the Netherlands

My wife and I Will be in Haarlem in late September....suggestions for places, "things" not to miss?...
Best way to get there from Amsterdam?

thanks

Posted by
32519 posts

Where in Amsterdam? Where in Haarlem?

But conventional wisdom is that the frequent, fast, and cheap train between Amsterdam Centraal or Amsterdam Sloterdijk to Haarlem station is the best for many.

But you don't qualify "best". Maybe you want door to door, or will be in unusual parts of towns, or are carrying unusually shaped somethings.....

It is difficult to list not to misses without a clue of your likes, wants, and desires. For me Museum De Cruquius is about the bee's knees, but maybe you aren't a big fan of steam powered water pumping facilities.

Posted by
23178 posts

Get Steves' Amsterdam guidebook. If you don't want to buy it, go to your library. It covers Haarlem in detail. It is a ten min train ride from the Amsterdam station - cheap and easy. Around the town square is a couple of nice restaurants, herring cart on the square, fry shop on a side streets. The guidebook will cover all.

Posted by
351 posts

To add a few other options/ideas should you decide to stay in Haarlem as I have stayed in Haarlem two separate times now:

-The Frans Hals Museum is a Can't Miss. Wonderful art, but a nice, low-key setting without the hoards of people that you will find at Amsterdam's more famous art galleries.

-For Dining, my wife and I have had a couple dinners at the Jopen Kerk (http://www.jopenkerk.nl/en/). You can just show up for a snack and some good beer or, better yet, make a reservation for their restaurant upstairs. A little pricey, but highly recommended. Casual attire is fine.

-Regarding the best way to get to Haarlem from Amsterdam? Amsterdam Central to Haarlem Station by train is only about 15 minutes, but as RS mentions in his book, if you need to go straight to and from AMS Schiphol and Haarlem, taking the bus is easier, quicker, and cheaper. Double check beforehand, but taking bus #300 from AMS to Haarlem takes about 30 minutes. It stops at Haarlem Central Station but also a couple stops near city center.

Have Fun.

Posted by
915 posts

The Grote Markt--if weather cooperates, sit down at the one of the cafes, enjoy a drink and soak in the atmosphere.
St. Bavo Church - interesting for the pipe organ played by Mozart when he was a child.
Just walking around! We stumbled across the mini Red Light "district" mentioned in Rick's book. Just walking the lanes around there is interesting.
Quietly ducking into one of the hofjes: http://www.holland.com/us/tourism/article/the-haarlem-courtyards.htm

Have a good trip!

Posted by
3777 posts

Make a reservation for Corrine ten boom museum, they only take about 15 people at a time with limited tours. Check their website. We took the train from Centraal Station to Harlem, very short, easy ride. it is a short walk to the center of the city. The Frans Hal museum is also a must see.

Posted by
109 posts

Second the vote for the "hofjes" -- wonderful courtyards surrounding small apartments used to provide residences for women beginning in the 14th century. (The Begjinhof in Amsterdam is such a place.)
Haarlem's TI provides a brochure in English with map showing the locations of them sprinkled around the city.
And-- the Teyler's Museum is not to be missed (combo ticket with the Franz Hals). Unlike anything you've ever seen.

Posted by
32519 posts

You'd take the train to Haarlem. The platform will vary but will be well signed.

Some trains will terminate at Haarlem, some will call at Haarlem on their way to Zandvoort, some to Leiden.

Check the big illuminated yellow board for that route, or the display screens.

There are trains at least 6 times an hour, total journey 15 minutes. Just take the next one.