We are ending our September river cruise in Amsterdam overnighting on the river ship after an excursion through some of the country north of the city and ending in a canal cruise. I am told we will get back to ship at 6:30 and are free to come and go as we please. We will probably dock within 10 minute walk behind Central Station. It will be Friday night and our plane leaves for USA Sunday at 1:00. Trying to make the most of this brief visit I have these questions from you ever so helpful forum posters.
- Is the suggested 3 hour airport arrival what meets with experience to allow enough but not too much time to clear security? And is 30 minutes a reasonable amount of time for taxi to airport on a Sunday mid-morning?
- Has anyone gone to Van Gogh museum on Friday evening when they are open till 10 PM with music and cocktails? If so is the music loud?
- On Saturday we are told we can leave when we would like and are hoping to get a taxi at 8 to take us to drop our bags at our hotel (hoping they will keep them till check-in) and get the nearby tram to Rijksmuseum as close to 9 as possible with pre-purchased tickets. Hotel is on Single. We will go directly to second floor to take in the Dutch Masters first, and then what other things we would like to see. We are guessing about 3 hours will be what our stamina will take.The question is this, given we would like to have a little lunch, could be street food, what time should we book for Anne Frank House? Going directly to Anne's house from Rijks on bus takes about 15-20 minutes, probably a 30 minute walk. And is there any way we could fit in something else before the museums close around 5?
- What are some recommended street food and locations and/or quick lunch places on route between Rijks and Anne's house?
- If we can fit in one more thing what would folks recommend?
- After this very busy day what restaurant near our Hotel Estheria on Single would folks recommend that features good Dutch food in a relaxing atmosphere? Something within a 10 minute or so walk would be very nice.
- Sunday morning I plan to just wander the canals before our taxi to airport.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions with any of this.