Please sign in to post.

First time in Amsterdam

A friend and I are going to Amsterdam. We are looking to stay 2 nights over the weekend in August. We want to be near the city center. Budget is on our mind but being in a good area is a concern as well. Have any of you had a good experience at a city center hotel recently? We want something also that has the character and charm of the Netherlands as well.

Posted by
8141 posts

We most often stay out in the Amsterdam suburbs in a B&B and take a tram into the city (15 minutes.) The closer you get to the city center, the rooms get pretty expensive--especially weekends.
I would suggest you go to Booking.com and filter by "price" (low). Then go down the list looking for accommodations that have substantially higher customer ratings than the others. I've never gone wrong doing such a search for places to stay.

Posted by
15582 posts

There's a website called something like "lastminute" that might help. Maybe someone here will know the site. You could try priceline.com - the best way is to go to biddingfortravel.com and read how to bid and see what's been offered and accepted/rejected. A hostel would work too, though for a weekend all the private rooms might be booked. Try hostelworld.com. If you are more than 10 minutes' walk from the train station, you'll be central and fine. If you want charm, you'll give up $$$ or convenience, though.

Posted by
228 posts

When in August are you going ? SAIL 2015 AMSTERDAM is going on from August 17 till August 23. If you are there during that time you'll have a problem.....