Please sign in to post.

electronic adapters

I'm traveling to Amsterdam in May. I need to get adapters so I can plug in my laptop and cell phone. I want to know where I can buy ones that say northern Europe?

Posted by
5786 posts

This is a FAQ. See:

Once you’ve dealt with the voltage, you’ll have to consider the plug.
A small adapter allows American-style plugs (two flat prongs) to fit
into British or Irish outlets (which take three rectangular prongs) or
continental European outlets (which take two round prongs). I bring
both continental and British adapters (handy for long layovers at
Heathrow Airport). Secure your adapter to your device’s plug with
electrical or duct tape; otherwise it can easily get left behind in
the outlet (hotels and B&Bs sometimes have a box of abandoned adapters
— ask). Many sockets in Europe are recessed into the wall; your
adapter should be small enough so that the prongs seat properly in the
socket. (Switzerland uses its own style of electrical plugs: three
slim round prongs arranged in a triangular shape. But if you already
have an adapter for continental European outlets, it’s likely to work
in Switzerland, too). If, for some reason, your adapter doesn’t work
in your hotel, just ask at the desk for assistance; hotels with
unusual sockets will invariably have the right adapter to loan you.
Ungrounded "continental" (2 round plugs)

Posted by
11288 posts

Note that adapters labeled "southern Europe" will have slightly thinner prongs than ones labeled "northern Europe," but both will work fine in Amsterdam. If you have to choose, get the "southern Europe" ones, as they'll work in outlets all over the continent; the fatter "northern Europe" ones sometimes don't fit (I ran into this in Italy).