Please sign in to post.

Distilled water for CPAP

Hi friends, does anyone know where to find/what to call distilled water for hubby's machine? In the UK we learned it's called "ionized" and we purchased it at the ironmongers! (sounds so 18th-century...)

Posted by
7271 posts

It's widely available in the wealthy, modern country of the Netherlands. Big-box stores have it, it's often in places with a choice of drinking waters, and in the (typically) household, as in ironing, section of the supermarket. Be careful not to buy "lavender" distilled water!

Posted by
307 posts

We had to find it last year.
Supermarkets will carry it with laundry products; it is also available in hardware stores

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks to you all for the information; I'm guessing distilled water is a fairly well-understood term. Much appreciated!

Posted by
786 posts

FWIW: I’ve stopped taking the humidifier with me when I travel. I can do without it for a week or two. And bottled water would likely be fine for the short term. The distilled water just prevents long-term mineral deposits.

Posted by
6347 posts

In the UK we learned it's called "ionized" and we purchased it at the
ironmongers! (sounds so 18th-century...)

Are you sure it wasn't deionized water? Note that deionized water is not the same as distilled water, although I guess both should work fine for the machine.

Posted by
29 posts

In Southern England they said ionized, I'm pretty sure!. And to the earlier message, the CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) is not a humidifier. Actually it's designed to keep airways clear for those with sleep apnea, so a real game-changer. For travelers, good news: the machines now are so much more portable than in the past.

Posted by
610 posts

Might be worth checking into whether the machine really requires distilled water constantly. As someone else said, the goal is to prevent mineral buildup over time, but using simple bottled water for a few weeks would likely not cause a problem. I've known of several people who dont worry about the distilled water on vacation. Perhaps you could ask your CPAP supplier or doctor in case you cant find any easily while you're overseas.

Posted by
29 posts

Tamara, great idea, thanks so much! It would save the aggravation.

Posted by
786 posts

And just to clarify, my CPAP has a detachable humidifier unit that I use every night at home with distilled water. So I can leave that part at home when I travel. Perhaps not all CPAPs have the same setup.

Posted by
5 posts

My wife & I just returned from two weeks in the Netherlands, where I used my CPAP machine every night (bring a converter/adapter). My B&B host had a liter of distilled water waiting for my arrival, which lasted several days. After that (in Amsterdam and The Hague), I used tap water, which worked for me and may work for your husband also. The "Dune Water" (look it up) is pumped from a river to an area of open dune grasslands (a national park) and is filtered naturally through the sand dunes (a 90-day process), which results in very pure tap water (no chlorine needed).