Please sign in to post.

Debit card

Would a Wise Debit card be more accepted in The Netherlands rather than a Capital One debit card.?
We have used a US credit card in many countries at shops, restaurants and ATMs. I was told that The Netherlands in particular may not accept debit cards or credit cards in many shops and smaller restaurants.

Posted by
27129 posts

I've only once had a problem using my credit union debit card in Europe. It was in Germany, and the bank employees acknowledged that their ATM didn't like US debit cards; I just walked down the street and used a different bank's ATM. There was just that one time over the course of about two years in Europe since 2015. My back-up ATM card is from Capital One. I've not needed to use it often, but it has always worked. I don't know of any reason why you'd need a Wise debit card specifically, but it is always smart to have two debit cards with you.

Posted by
7561 posts

I doubt "more accepted" as long as your debit card is Visa or Mastercard branded. Do not know much about Wise, but it really would offer no advantage to me, as my debit card works fine, does not charge a fee to use it, or to load money onto it (it just comes out of my account), it also reimburses any ATM use fees, and the exchange rate is never an issue. Wise would just be a more expensive way to spend.

Posted by
17929 posts

You can always stumble on an exception, but my US ATM has worked from Iceland (worked too often) to Malta to Albania to Ukraine and two dozen stops in the middle. Not going to risk it in Califirnia though.

Posted by
13946 posts

"I was told that The Netherlands in particular may not accept debit cards or credit cards in many shops and smaller restaurants."

I'm not sure this is current post-pandemic information. Last spring I even used ApplePay to pay for entry to the bathroom at the Amsterdam Centraal Train Station - 70 Euro cents came out to 77 US cents on my CC. I had the coins but wanted to try Apple Pay. Worked great!

Do you have Apple or Google Pay? I used a variety of credit cards I had loaded into my Apple Wallet in Amsterdam last spring. I don't think I paid for cash for anything except a bottle of water when I wanted to get some change to leave for housekeeping in my hotel.

Posted by
7561 posts

I guess to expand a bit more, I think what many Americans miss, is that the Dutch are more likely to use their debit card than a credit card. Some grocery stores do not accept credit cards, but they do accept the local debit cards (and maybe yours). But I have never had a problem just using credit, though if under 5 euro, I am as likely to use cash (old habit). But overall, the Netherlands ranks up there with the UK in being cash-free.