Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Amsterdam

Trying to decide between two day trips from Amsterdam and/or Haarlem for a trip this May:
Option A: Zaanse Schans, Edam, Volendam, Marken
Option B: Hoorn & Enkhuizen

Questions:

1. Is option A too much to do in one day? I would take the train to zaanse schans in the morning & then buses to get to the other places. Goal would be lunch & exploring in Edam & then onto Marken in the afternoon. Volendam is really only on the list as the entry point for Marken. I'd be doing this on my own, not as part of a tour package (thanks for the heads up on that mikliz97!)
    Side note: is there even a bus from Zaanse Schans to Edam? I swear I saw one last time I looked, but I'm not seeing that option anymore...has anyone done this?

2. would it be crazy to add Aalkmar in the morning for Option B? In this case, I'd be doing it on a Friday from Haarlem.

3. For those who have done versions of both days, which did you prefer? and why?

4. It's possible I can make both work, timing wise. Would you make it a priority to do both?

I appreciate any advice!

Posted by
11161 posts

We did day trips from Amsterdam to Haarlem, Leiden,The Hague and Delft by train. We liked it all so much that we returned for a week in Leiden and did more day trips including Kinderdijk.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks Suki! I definitely have all those places on my radar too, plus a day at Keukenhof booked...will be staying in Haarlem, then Amsterdam, and then Delft, so lots of chances to explore.

Posted by
11161 posts

I highly encourage you to visit Kinderdijk, which is near Rotterdam.