Please sign in to post.

Customs

I’m flying Chicago to Amsterdam to Rome
Customs is in Amsterdam stop
How long will this take.?
We’re flying Delta for both legs of trip.
Where is customs in relation to Delta gate!
Is there time to get back to Delta for next flight?

Then when landing in Rome will head to Orvieto
Would you advise a driver or take train to Orvieto in view of possible jet lag brain trying to navigate all this??

Posted by
11764 posts

Presumably you are using "Customs" to mean passport control/immigration. That will occur in Amsterdam, and you will be compelled to go through it before you can reach your ongoing flight

How long it will take when you are there is unknowable.

If you have a single ticket from Chicago to Rome, with the stop in Amsterdam, the airline has figured out how long you should need.
Delta does not fly Amsterdam to Rome. If you look at your ticket ( assuming it is a one ticket trip) it should show a partner airline operating the AMS-FCO leg.

Depending on what time you arrive in Rome, one form of transport may be preferable to another to get to wherever in Orvieto you are staying. You have ~100 miles to traverse so plan on 2-3 hours.

How many is 'we' ?

A car service to drive you likely will cost $350 or so.

Posted by
987 posts

Do you have your ticket? It should tell you which airline you are flying from Amsterdam to Rome and what your turnover time is in Amsterdam. As Joe said, Delta does not fly between Amsterdam and Rome so it will be a Delta partner that does. Hopefully, you will have at least 90 minutes between flights. International flights normally are in a different part of the airport from the flights between European cities so it is not going to be a matter of “getting back to your Delta gate.” There are plenty of signs in English in the Amsterdam airport that will direct you from your arrival gate to passport control, large boards that tell you the gate for your outgoing flight and current departure time and then signs to direct you to the various departure gates.

There are numerous companies that provide town car transport between the airport and Orvieto. We always ask our hotel for their recommendation.

Posted by
1101 posts

You are most likely flying on KLM for both legs of the trip. You will arrive at a gate in the non-Schengen area of the airport, and pass through immigration on the way to your departure gate in the Schengen area.

Note that AMS is quite large, all under one roof, and it can take quite a while to walk from one gate to another. Just find out your departure gate number and start walking toward it - you will encounter immigration along the way.

If there is a very long line, there should be a short connections line if you're close to your departure time, and they should have people working the line. When I was there, with no line at immigration, it took approximately 35 minutes from arrival to departure gates. Your baggage will be checked through to Rome [assuming you're on a single ticket].

Riding trains in Italy is quite easy - you may want to research in advance on the Trenitalia website or on the app.

Here are travel forum search results for "Orvieto train" from the past year:

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=1y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=orvieto+train&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Posted by
11764 posts

How much of a hassle is the train from FCO to Rome Termini, then train to Orvieto?

What do you mean by 'hassle'?

Depending on when you are traveling the total journey time is between 2.25 hrs and 3 hrs once you board the train at FCO.

Some trips have just one change and others have a 2nd change.

Posted by
7959 posts

I'll try to expand.

When you arrive in Amsterdam, you walk out of the jetbridge into the international terminal at a gate, similar to a domestic flight, which is unusual for many locations. Look for signs for connecting flights and proceed that way. Somewhere along the line, there will be monitors, that depending on your departure gate, will direct you to different immigration lines. Once you reach the immigration line, there will be monitors that list tight connections flights, if your flight is on there, then you can go to a separate line for fast service. However, I have had as little as an hour connection, and that flight is not on the monitor, and I made my boarding with 20 or 30 minutes to spare.

As others said, if you review your itinerary, it will give you a Delta number for the Amsterdam to Rome leg, but it is very likely operated by KLM, but still no problem.

Once landing in Rome, the typical traveler will take the Leonardo Express to Termini Station, then the first train to Orvieto. Maybe download the Trenitalia App, and if you have service, you can search for the best train option. Your choices on trains are either the RV trains, fast regional trains, or Intercity train. You can go to a manned window, buy a ticket from a machine, or buy from the app. Each has their own oddities, just that if you buy paper tickets, validate them, electronic tickets, check in, unless you have reserved seats (though not possible on the Leonardo express and regional trains)

Private driver is fine to Orvieto, but way to rich for my blood. But then I never understand the people who are zombies once they land, I usually have enough adrenaline, even now after a couple dozen trips, to keep me going.