Please sign in to post.

Covid Testing Requirements

My husband and I are flying into Amsterdam from the US next month. I understand we will need a negative test to submit there. We will be traveling from there to Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland and Germany mostly by train. Does anyone know if we will need negative tests everytime we enter into a different country? I've been trying to see if we can upload our vax cards to the EU green pass but dint see where we can do that. Appreciate all input. TIA

Posted by
13937 posts

Well, since there were no replies, I thought I'd give your questions a stab.

I, too, am entering the Netherlands next month so I've been watching this. I'll enter from Belgium after having been in France for 2 weeks so my situation is a bit different.

Here are a couple of websites I've been using. It looks like at this time, starting March 23 The Netherlands is dropping many requirements but still has a rule in place that those coming from Non-EU countries will need a negative test.

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/news/2022/03/15/further-easing-of-coronavirus-measures

This one pretty much boils down the rules. At this time for Netherlands US is not on the "safe" list but that may change.
https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry

I have also been using this website to look at going from country to country. For instance, you can put in travel from Belgium to France with a US passport and see what you need to do (which at this point is nothing.).

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-restrictions

Belgium rules - and at this point I don't think you need to test for Belgium since you are coming by ground transport from another Schengen country.
https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/travels/#1

France rules: No testing needed from another Schengen country. (and this website does not seem to be updated as in some places it still refers to thePass Vaccinal which was cancelled on Monday March 14)
https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered/article/coming-to-france-your-covid-19-questions-answered?var_mode=calcul#sommaire_2

Sorry, have not been following Germany or Switzerland!

Posted by
1305 posts

I can only comment on the entry requirements for the Netherlands. Based on all the information now available the following will apply starting March 23; The EU entry ban remains in place for non-EU nationals arriving from outside the EU/Schengen. There are exemptions to this entry ban, for instance for those who are fully vaccinated plus boostered or for those who are recently recovered. If you fall into one of the exemption categories you can enter without a test. If you don’t qualify for an exemption you’re not allowed to enter, not even when you’re tested.
To sum it up; Fully vaccinated or recently recovered non-EU nationals arriving from outside the EU/Schengen can enter without a test. Non-EU nationals arriving from outside the EU/Schengen who are not vaccinated or recently recovered can not enter.

Posted by
43 posts

I've been following this too since we leave March 30. This is on the Dutch government site.
"If you are a resident of a country that is not on the list of safe countries and fully vaccinated, you can be exempted from the EU entry ban. Under this exemption you can enter the Netherlands if you have valid proof of vaccination showing that you have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or the World Health Organization (WHO). The official validity period of a proof of vaccination is 270 days after the last dose of the primary vaccination cycle. After receiving a booster dose the proof of vaccination will be valid again.

You must always show a negative test result in order to travel to the Netherlands, even if you have been fully vaccinated."

SO even though Twitter seems to think we WON'T need to be tested after the 23rd, this indicates otherwise.

Posted by
1305 posts

Pricegang; what you quote are the current entry requirements. These are in place until March 23. It was announced yesterday by our government that most of the entry requirements will be dropped. Please read my previous post for the entry requirements that will become effective March 23. The English version of the website of the Dutch government isn’t fully adjusted yet to the new rules, but the Dutch version of the website is. That website clearly states that the test requirement is dropped.

Posted by
13937 posts

"what you quote are the current entry requirements. These are in place until March 23. It was announced yesterday by our government that most of the entry requirements will be dropped."

Oh, that is excellent (for me, that is and for the rest of us on the forum)!

I have gotten myself so confused looking at the various governmental websites for each country. And it's even more confusing when announcements are made for the future and then it's difficult to find the official word.

Thank you, Dutch Traveler!

Posted by
1305 posts

It is indeed very confusing with all these changes and each country having different entry requirements. That’s why I would suggest the OP to ask for the entry requirements for Belgium, France, Germany etc on the country specific boards. I’m Dutch and I find it difficult enough to keep up with the entry requirements of my own country. I’m not comfortable giving advice about the entry requirements of other countries.

Posted by
43 posts

Just saw this! As of March 23. Such a relief. Especially since with cases rising there, we're probably more likely to catch it THERE instead of Seattle. ;)

"Travellers coming from outside the EU or the Schengen area
The rules will also be lifted for nationals of EU countries travelling to the Netherlands from countries outside the EU and the Schengen area.
Non-EU nationals remain subject to an EU entry ban. Exemptions apply in several cases, however, such as for people travelling from ‘safe’ countries, travellers with a proof of vaccination and people travelling for certain purposes.
The test requirement will be lifted.
Travellers must still complete a health declaration. "

Posted by
1305 posts

The text in the post by Pricegang is taken from the website of the Dutch government where the new rules, starting March 23 are explained.
For US nationals arriving into the Netherlands from outside the EU/Schengen, the new rules come down to this;
Currently, the USA is not on the safe list. This means that non-EU nationals arriving into the Netherlands from the USA are not allowed to enter the country for tourism purposes, unless they’re fully vaccinated plus boostered or unless they recently recovered from COVID. If you’re not fully vaccinated or recently recovered you don’t qualify to enter for tourism. If you’re fully vaccinated or recently recovered, you qualify to enter.

If you do qualify to enter, you don’t need to test.
If you don’t qualify to enter, you may not enter, not even when you can show a negative test result.

Source; https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/measures-announced

Posted by
43 posts

Delta Airlines has a form you can fill in that will give you the latest Covid related requirements.
Blockquote

Sadly, this form is not accurate. I just checked and it's saying we have to test for a March 30 flight from Seattle to Amsterdam. I chatted online with an agent who said that is Delta's policy, even after I told her they lifted the test requirement. Not entirley sure she knew what she was talking about. I tweeted Delta and will check again after the 23rd to see if it updated.

Posted by
29 posts

I'll keep following all of your posts. Any actual travel experience after the 23rd will be most appreciated.