Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets 2022 in Amsterdam and Brussels

Hi all!

I will be in Brussels/Amsterdam from 18-26 November 2022. I am thinking of checking out the Christmas markets. I found information that Brussels' Christmas Market is 26 November 2022 - 1 January 2023.

I am unable to find more information!

Any information about the Christmas Markets' dates and which markets are great to visit! Please share! Thanks!

Posted by
1304 posts

The reason you can’t find anything about a Christmas market in Amsterdam is because there isn’t any. This seems to be a common misconception. You may find some stalls here and there in Amsterdam next to an ice rink, but nothing like the huge Christmas markets in Germany. The southern town of Valkenburg, very close to Germany, does have a Christmas market.

Posted by
933 posts

Amsterdam is VERY underwhelming in terms of Xmas. We have been a few times after seeing the German Xmas Markets and it's quite a let down - so don't go expecting Xmas. Amsterdam is great - but there are NO markets. The Xmas Markets originated in Germany and they are still the BEST there - although Austria, France, and Switzerland have some good ones now. Even the Xmas Markets in Belgium pale in comparison - there is a HUGE one in Brussels - but it isn't as authentic as the ones in Germany and it's a lot more FOOD than the typical wood, pewter, smokers, nutcrackers, and authentic German items. All the Markets open the first weekend in Advent - that is traditional, so you won't see them open before then. Looking at your dates, you will probably miss the markets as the weekend of Advent is 11/26. Plan another trip over there one year and hit up the ones in Germany and Austria.

Posted by
78 posts

Hi thanks!

Do you recommend spending an additional night to check out Brussels City's christmas markets?

I heard Bruges may have a nice christmas market? Any tips?

Posted by
7548 posts

Do you recommend spending an additional night to check out Brussels City's Christmas markets?

It is a personality thing. Sure, if it would cost you no more, spending a day or more in Europe is always advised. Most markets tend to have a pretty commercial feel, you can find some nice local crafts and products, but also wade through stalls of commercial product. Food stalls can actually be pretty good for American tastes, so visiting one pretty much does it for me. I know some people plan a whole trip around a half dozen markets or more...that I really don't get...but then I plan trips around visiting breweries, so go figure.

Yes, Bruges has a market, so does Antwerp. If I had a choice, I would probably opt for Antwerp over Brussels (just for quality of the city), Bruges would be good as well if you are that way.

Posted by
32747 posts

I heard Bruges may have a nice christmas market?

When I was in Bruges pre-covid, in early December, there was a temporary ice rink set up in the Markt and maybe 15 or 20 stalls. It was really a non-event. It was about half the size of the Luxembourg City market, so that tells you something. We were in both cities for other things (I love many German Christmas markets) and noticed both of these in passing.

Maybe it has improved in the last half dozen years?

Posted by
6895 posts

Hi!
According to your other thread you have about 6-7 days allocated to Lorraine, Alsace and Western Germany, focusing on Christmas markets.
You will find the best Christmas markets there. And even the best Christmas markets will feel samey after a while!
So I suggest that you do not focus your Netherlands+Belgium portion of the trip on Christmas markets. If you stumble upon one, then good, but don't go out of your way.

Posted by
933 posts

I personally wouldn't add time to a trip to Holland/Belgium for the Xmas Markets - they just aren't that great or authentic compared to the ones in Germany.