Please sign in to post.

canal cruise in amsterdam

Any suggestions of where to start and which company to use? I see there are many options and want to narrow it down to a short cruise (an hour, perhaps) . Thanks

Posted by
5395 posts

Make sure you're on a smaller boat, about a dozen folks, not the large ones, which could have recorded messages.
We used the Damn Boat Guys, but it's not for kids, and we had a great time. Safe travels!

Posted by
486 posts

This past April, I went on a canal cruise by a company called "Flagship". The boat was located very close to where Anne Frank's actual door is located (not the door to the entrance of the Anne Frank House Museum). The captain was the narrator and it was very informative. The cruise lasted an hour and cost (if I remember correctly) about 20 Euros. It was a fairly small boat, probably with a capacity of up to twenty people, although when I went on it there were less than ten passengers. I would use them again without hesitation.

Posted by
3 posts

I also did a cruise with Flagship and would recommend them. They have multiple pickups around the city and offered smaller, open air boats. There were seven of us on my cruise, plus our captain and our guide. You're able to purchase drinks on board if you'd like.

Posted by
263 posts

I believe I posted on your other thread about Amsterdam, but we liked Captain Jacks. Small group, drinks (beer wine soda etc) and snacks included.

Posted by
2471 posts

Go to the reviews area and look for my post. This past February we did two canal cruises. One with Flagship and one with Jack. hands down Jacks was the best, no comparison whatsoever. Our hotel recommended him. He has a very nice boat and only takes up to 8 people. The night we went it was just the two of us, so we basically got a private cruise. He is in his 30's and very engaging, and a lifelong Amsterdam resident, so it was really interesting to talk with him. The flagship one was big, the focus was on the wine (we did not opt in on that), and it was definitely a party atmosphere without much sightseeing.

Posted by
70 posts

My wife and I cruised on Amsterdam Boat Adventures for 20 euros each. The cruise lasted an hour and left from in front on H'art Museum. There were nine of us on the tour. The boat leaves hourly at 15 after the hour. There was an additional charge for drinks. In the two days we have been in the city we have seen dozens of canal cruise boats. Many are posted just a few yards from Centraal Station but there are others that leave from different areas in the city. In addition there are dinner canal cruises and some companies will rent you a small boat to do your own tour.

Posted by
557 posts

Rather than settling on one option, use this tread to get 3 or 4 operators that have been recommended. Then, make your choice based upon where you plan to be that day before the cruise. You get to sit on the cruise, so it's great if you been walking all day.